Vaughns zxr

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Re: Vaughns zxr

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:That picture is a bit wonky, im hoping they did fit ok?
Lol yeah sorry that was just hung on there for the picture, they fit perfectly.
The only problem I had was peeling the tape off without damaging the gaskets, it wasn't too bad but I did pull a small layer off the gaskets in places.
I see why you taped them on like that but it's not ideal, I can't think of any other way you could secure them to the card, maybe cling film?? They would probably still move around though I guess.
What about a small bit of paper covering the gaskets where the tape sits??
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Good point, think it may be the tape, cradleys do it but just with normal selotape, which gasket peeled and I'll send you another out so that you don't get any leaks
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

That's ok don't worry it was only a thin layer off each gasket, I'll give it a try and hopefully it'll be fine, I'll let u know if it leaks
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

genuine gaskets aren't taped to the card.

The card is in a ploy bag that's the right size to stop the gasket moving too much.

you could try punching a small hole in your card and use a tiny cable tie to secure the gasket. Just don't pull it too tight

or two pieces of card with the gasket between and tape the card together or better still one bigger piece of card folded over the gasket
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Good ideas cargo, thanks will give them a try, swore they were taped but I may be wrong, im sure you've ordered plenty in your time!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

When I phone Cradley the lovely lady says "Hi Cargo you'll be wanting road parts then"

I can sell you sellotape at a good price !
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Ah brilliant! Been looking for ages, can't find it anywhere, rare as rocking horse toad! :pmsl
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Apart from that they are top notch gaskets bud.

Right so after work today I got out in the garage and went about finishing her off.

Got exhaust studs in, exhaust fitted, rad and oil cooler on
Filled her up with oil and water and connected a fuel tank.
So then went about firing her up, turned over for ages and nothing, checked the plugs and no spark on any cylinder.
I've tried my H model cdi and an L model and still nothing, everything has been checked and checked again
I'm thinking it could be the crank sensor, it was already in the engine so I'll swap it with mine tomorrow and see what happens, it's the only electrical part that was with the engine so there's a good chance it could be that, had good sparks before fitting the engine,

The ignition was on when I connected the battery, I must have put it there by accident when I took the steering lock off, maybe I might have fried something then :-(

Also fuel is pouring out from the breather pipe on carbs 3 & 4 I'm guessing that's down to the floats not closing in one of the carbs and it's flooding??

Now guess I'll be spending the rest of the night on research :-( no gta tonight
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

"no GTA tonight" thanks f### for that, its killing the world, and yes, fuel coming out indicates sticking float bowl, thinking about your fast carb cleaning method, that will blow the crap up into the carbs, may have caused a problem, and thanks for the compliment on gaskets
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Ahaaaaa
Think I might have sussed it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380658273.708291.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380658287.156269.jpg
I connected my multimeter to the wires earlier and nothing happened, not sure if it was on the right setting though, had it on continuity and nothing registered.
Right then back out to the garage for me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

There you go! Remember readings can be different depending on meter
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Nope checked that and it's fine, the reading was 451, my old one measured 445 so that can't be the problem
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

ross46 wrote:"no GTA tonight" thanks f### for that, its killing the world, and yes, fuel coming out indicates sticking float bowl, thinking about your fast carb cleaning method, that will blow the crap up into the carbs, may have caused a problem, and thanks for the compliment on gaskets
Just sonicated them a second time and rebuilt with new seals, couldn't see anything wrong at the time, I'll have to get them off and check em over again. If only there was a way to tell which carb was flooding
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Oooops
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380660693.888465.jpg
It would seem the things to check are the 30amp fuse and the ic igniter.
I think I might have a spare ic igniter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Check the continuity, if you think its blown it, ask banner nicely and he might lend you one, I sold him an M cdi so he might have his spare, offer him postage and he might help you our