Vaughns zxr

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Re: Vaughns zxr

Post by Vaughn »

Right so I changed the sensor and turned it over with a plug in the lead but still no spark
I had a bit of a dig around and tried to find any damaged wires but nothing
Then I changed the cdi back to the old one (was already in there when it wouldn't start before) turned her over and hey presto a spark.

I reckon there's a loose connection somewhere
I tried to get her fired up but the battery died, was meant to charge that last night but forgot.
She was about to fire I'm sure of it, I heard her gurgle a couple of times, if I had more battery power she might have gone.
Tempted to chuck the aprilia battery on but I need it for work in the morning, patience
I'll give it a couple hours charge and try again
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Oh yeah and the carb didn't overflow so hopefully the floats might have sorted themselves out now, maybe just a bit of crap got in there
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Just been out with the battery after an hours charge, rigged it up on the bike and cranked her over.
She fired and ran nicely, stalled as soon as the choke was switched off but she didn't have time to get warm, only ran her for about a minute.
It's a bit late for revving bikes, the neighbours have a baby

Battery is on charge ready for after work tomorrow when I'll really get cracking.
Bring on the good times

No fuel leak either so hopefully that's sorted now.

I'll get her hot tomorrow and balance carbs and things and hopefully she'll be good
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

HALLELUJAH! Well done mate!
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Cheers bud. About bloody time as well lol
Still no wiser to what the problem is,
When it's running tomorrow I'll give the wires a wiggle and see if it cuts out, I reckon there's got to be a loose connection somewhere
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

She's alive :-)
Right so I got home today and got the freshly charged battery fitted, cranked her over and vrooooooom she fired.

Got her nice and warm and made sure everything was fine.
Switched her off and got the tank and seat bracket bolted on and took her for a spin.
She flies, done about 15 miles on her, got her up to 80 at one point, got there in no time.

There is a knocking coming from the engine, when it's ticking over you can hear it but when you raise the revs a little it goes away, then all your left with is a tapping sound when your riding, like when the tappets need adjusting on an old fiesta.
I don't think it's pinking but I'll chuck some octane booster in and see what happens.
I'm thinking maybe a crank bearing or something.
I'm sure the noise changed as the engine warmed up as well, seemed to get worse, I'll explore more tomorrow with a cold engine
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

I thought my bike was a pain in the butt!
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Haha,
Not as much as mine, it's spent more time in the garage in pieces than it has on the road
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Been there, done that, never done a bottom end on a bigger 4 stroke
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Right so today I rode to work on the 400.
The knocking noise goes away when I pull the clutch in so that's my next job to get the clutch cover off and investigate.

Going away this weekend so work will commence Monday, gonna start stripping down the old lump as well
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Vaughn wrote:Right so today I rode to work on the 400.
The knocking noise goes away when I pull the clutch in so that's my next job to get the clutch cover off and investigate.

Going away this weekend so work will commence Monday, gonna start stripping down the old lump as well
if its more of a rattle thats fine, kawasaki clutches rattle a fair bit and is perfectly normal.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Ok cool, I'll have another look later on my way home.
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Oh what a nightmare, I found out the hard way earlier that my battery is not charging,
Luckily I was at my girlfriends house and when I got on the bike it turned over a few times before the battery died.
She dropped me home and I grabbed my charger connected it up and she fired straight away and managed to get home.

Going away for the weekend so not gonna be doing anything on her for a couple of days, battery's on charge though I'll leave it on till I get back, it's a maintenance charger so should be fine

Just one thing after another lol, one day she will work properly I'm sure of it, not sure how much it's gonna cost but hey ho I'm sort of committed now, would never make my money back on it as is and it needs a ton of money throwing at it to get it right, no win situation lol
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

i think a faiur few people on the forum are/have been in that position. check all the connections, check that the alternator is working (3 wires) check the regulator and connections
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Yeah I'll get on the case, probably leave it till tomorrow though can't be arsed right now, just have to use the aprilia for work.

I'm a bit stuck now as to what to do next, been looking at getting a new bike on finance over 2 years.
The whole point in buying the zxr in the first place was to enjoy riding a more powerful bike than a 125
Not to spend all my time in the garage making it rideable, part of me really wants to fix the 400 though but I'm looking at another £2000 to get it how I want it, or do I try sell the bike as it is with all the spares but I would never make my money back so it's pointless.
Maybe I should just keep the 400 for a 10 year project and get another bike
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381067504.600645.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381067520.950480.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.