new to me track bike

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Flatowtornowt
My Bike: tomos moped

new to me track bike

Post by Flatowtornowt »

this may be a bit slow on uploads it also may be a bit disjointed
my son has a track / daytime tested zxr 400 h i have on occasion borrowed it for messing about on track, we have a small local track teeside autodrome that is fairly local to us so i decided to buy an h rather than sharing his with him.i think it makes sense to have the same as i know the way his rides. plus he is desperate to ride cadwell and as i have ridden his there ill be damned if we travel and i have to watch so the decision was made and i bought an h1 sight unseen (i know)

so upon picking it up its not great. sorry about the pic but the pic makes it look loads better than it is
my son decided that he wanted to strip his and tidy it up so it seemed as though it was just as easy to strip two, its not it takes up loads of room. but i only realise that now.
the bike is a mish mash of h1, 636 tail and subframe and l forks in an l bottom yolk (yes but i think i can overcome the shorter forks)

so bike stripped prepping and painting begin

frame was flattened, painted satin black and laquered with 2k.

fairings were repaired but i had to swap one with a spare from my sons bike as it was full of filler and weighed a ton primed and some infills highlighted in orange

then painted in turquoise, its different if nowt else.

the front fairing had an endurance style headlight relief so again i did it in orange

always thought the tank on the h looked really big if only in one colour so you guessed it

Flatowtornowt

Re: new to me track bike

Post by Flatowtornowt »

wheels again went orange

the fairings still need lacquer but ill put a few kawasaki decals on before
i stripped the engine to check the condition of it its all well within tolerances and has 1208 rods and blue valve springs so seems ok.

got the head skimmed and lapped the valves in, thought i might as well unshroud the valves as well while it is apart

bike already runs a micron system i know they arn't the best but i will weld in a 50mm link pipe and hope this makes it a bit better. i am reaming the top of the header where it connects to the head creating a step in the roof of about 1mm

the header on the right is done the one on the left is yet to do
Flatowtornowt

Post by Flatowtornowt »

so over xmas i have been collecting a few parts ready for the build

my sons bike runs a gsxr k7 rear shock im no racer but it seems to be a big improvement over standard so i will run the same

he also runs a brembo master cylinder from an r6 his is 05 i could only get an 09

rebuilt the forks with new seals bushes were needed and new springs suited to my weight

his bike runs an h2 arm i've struggled to find one so in keeping with the oddball front i modified the frame to run an l arm

adjustable cam?

i have also cleaned the casting marks out of the head but i dont want to make the ports any bigger than needed so i have only just say removed the worst of them
i am a bit unsure which rear linkage to use h1 or l so if anyone knows which might be best i'm all ears
kawazonkey
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Post by kawazonkey »

Can't wait to see this all built!
Flatowtornowt

Post by Flatowtornowt »

bodywork loosly mocked up

ignore the green front mudgaurd as i think this will end up black

calipers

bleed nipples will be replaced but untill then they are great for masking the holes
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

looking forward to seeing this finished

those colours you've chosen remind me of Talmaschi when he was on the Aprilia!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Looks like a Silohette front cowl.

Is is a H / J / L or M engine ?
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Flatowtornowt

Post by Flatowtornowt »

it's possible the second headlight opening has been cut in by a previous owner (the blue one) anyhow i believe the engine to be an l as it has the later cam chain tensioner, 1208 rods and blue valve springs.
started a dry build to check the squish and removed the flywheel as bike will run total loss.

got some oil cooler blanking plates made off a friend

having to track this at the moment
Flatowtornowt

Post by Flatowtornowt »

few more bits bolted on