New l2 project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: New l2 project

Post by Mori Man »

ninjadave1400 wrote:on a side note why does every one hate the oil coolers are they just prone to failing or do the hinder performance, i play with drift cars and we add oil coolers to help cool and keep oil in better condition.
Nothing wrong with them - all TT-F3 bikes from factory ran with them - just some bee up an butt philosophy about them here , end off.

If you believe your of a higher class racer than a factory KRT racer and an oil cooler is slowing you down - please raise your cock here shocking
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
ninjadave1400
My Bike: zxr400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

Ok fair enough ill leave as is I just didn't want a failure and oil on rear tyre had that before no fun !
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

ok so after some feed back on some of my images in this thread i decided to investigate, i started with a compression test and a first time to pull the plugs and check them dont know why i hadnt done before, they looked ok with the eception of number 2 cylinder, which is the same cylinder thad had the coolant crystals growing around the exhaust ports.

the picture isnt great but the plug looks almost rusty and looking into the cylinder there seems to be a build up but what and why is the question, i decided to run a battery of tests to try and help me decide whether to remove the head or not i have decided with some advice from the techs at work to use compression test, leak down test and a clearance check, the reasons being they will narrow down the possible issues a sniff test would be helpful if the bike was able to run the aim was to rule out head gasket and major valve issues the ideal out come would be all 3 being within tolerance, how ever the images below are from the compression test the number of fingers is the number of the cylinder(i couldnt find a note pad)

so from this you can see the two centre cylinders are way low now at this point its looking that either the two centre cylinders have tightened up on the clearences, or matching up the other sympton the head gasket has failed between the two and the water jacket, so to rule out the clearence issues i did the checks made up a sheet preparing to have to change them and well they were all within tolerance the exhaust valves on No.3 were nearing the upper limit but were within i will change them to get it inline with the others as i would see that as good working practice. next i started to remove the camshafts, i removethem before a leak down test as this means all valves are closed and there is less chance of a false reading, this is the last test if it is the headgasket that at this point is pretty much a certanty, how ever they maybe more issues here are some of the possibilities:- air bubbling in the header tank = headgasket, air escaping in to the crank=headgasket/piston rings, air escaping in to the other cylinders= headgasket/cracked or pourous block/warped head, lastly air escaping through head valve stems/valve stem seals.

this is where i am currently i should also say you can see some discoloured oil dispite a change and leads toward the headgasket also.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

ok guys so to continue on from my post yesterday the leak downwas about 5 psi diff on each cylinder apart from this on number the problematic No. 2 see image below i chucked as as i took the picture the preasure leak blew coolant out of my header tank so that kind of confirms the headgasket failure.

the headgasket and the block were a state

the head was a mess as well once ive got them cleaned ill post more pics

next clean up and stripping out the valvas from No.2
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

that doesnt look like an overnight failure...thats been in there for a while, you will need to check the straightness of the head and possible get it skimmed so its flat and level.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

banner001 wrote:that doesnt look like an overnight failure...thats been in there for a while, you will need to check the straightness of the head and possible get it skimmed so its flat and level.
To true got to strip it down and put it on a flat granit slab with engineers blue on te head a quick rub will show all !
copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by copeyhagen »

what drift cars ya into.

had a good few, including a nice jzx100 chaser
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

no nice ones im afraid mainly old e36's sorry ive been away for a while ive had some issues but the bike should be mot'd after xmas i will post a proper update over xmas
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

So last yeah vanished with out a trace, to update exhaust is finished, screen is attached I'm waiting on pro bolt to attach all the fairings as the fixings were a mix of bolts and screws. She spins but won't start at the moment I think due to an air lock but, as my local garage are going to dyno it for the carb set up ill get them to investigate that while they are in there, once all that is done I just need to tidy the body work up any ideas ?