New l2 project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

ninjadave1400
My Bike: zxr400

New l2 project

Post by ninjadave1400 »

Hi guys I'm about to take delivery of my zxr I thought I would post some pics as it is now,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ninjadave1400

Re: New l2 project

Post by ninjadave1400 »

And 1 more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

so go the bike in the work shop and set about finding what was broken and what was save able.
and there was a fair bit of damage some i had spotted some was a supprise.
so next i had to start fixing what i could the mirror mount was bent, and was easily straightened with a vice and some brute force will need painting later thought.
same story with both mid fairing brakets,
before.
and after not perfect but much better.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

Calipers

having decided to change out all brake hoses for hel braded lines, pulling the caliper to cure the binding was a chance that was silly to miss, and boy were there some horrors.

once i split the first caliper i found the pistons were siezed and there were anti-squiel pads in them these turned out to be a massive help on getting the pistons out, i drilled a 5 mm hole through them put a screw in and used a slide hammer to get them out i had to do this on all 8 and i still didnt take a picture :smt011

once out it was obvious the fluid was past it and one side had no dust seals in place meaning the fluid seals were weeping,
they are now nice and clean and waiting on new pistons and seals which i am hunting for as the best i can find is £72 per caliper.

i then removed the tail section to fit the new indicatos from bike it, and found quite a mix of fixings had been used.

old indicator.

and the new shiney one
rocco
My Bike: zxr 400l3

Post by rocco »

Fair play to you mate..... It looks like you've been busy!!!
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

2 days work I'm quite chuffed need it on the road ASAP will prob do body work next winter, once I have decided on a colour scheme.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

so got up very early today and pulled the hose off and drained the coolant will flush rad tonight.

came out clear and with no sign of coolant I'm slightly concerned but a new set of Samco hoses on the way and some proper coolant I'm hoping to hit no issues with the cooling system.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

got to work and in with the parts for the company, some bits for the zxr, new brake lines and a clutch cable.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

clutch cable

once the old cable is off this can be done any way you like, how ever the refit i have documented in case any one is a little worried about doing it, firstly we need to oil the new cable.
its a small hole but with care you can get oil in there i use a steady hand and an oil can i keep going untill oil drips from the botttom this way i know ive done my best to maximise the life of the cable.

next there are 4 places the cable must run through, 3 guides and then the lower adjuster,

getting it in to the arm can be fiddly how ever persistance will out

next i had to re assemble the lever this just slides together with some grease,

cable just slides in its easier to do this first,

next it slips through the adjuster and into place in the lever mount,

slide through bolt in and tighten now adjusting the cable is simple, i like to take the lower adjuster all the way to the end and use the upper adjuster for fine tuning i hit a snag in that my clutch plates are stuck together meaning i cannot check the clutch isnt dragging untill i strip it out.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

Rear Hel Brake Line

the pictures tell the story i only need to add that a vacume bleeding tool is a god send and banjos should be tightened to around 20 foot pounds.
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

various job firstly dropping the oil

does any one know what should be in these holes rather than tape ??????
Columbo
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by Columbo »

Those holes should be filled by rubber bungs. Easily visible in the parts diagram.

92066A - http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/ka ... 1999&ca=GB
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

ahh i was staring at that epc page for ages never spotted them :smt011
ninjadave1400

Post by ninjadave1400 »

right today the piston and seals arrived for the front calipers i upgraded to stainless steel to try and maximise the life of them the pictures tell the story,

i would have re-fitted them but i forgot to pick up my o-ring set from my uncles place so i will finish this job tomorrow, also today my bike skate arrived :excited

once on the skate i striped the clutch apart to investage the issue and found some issues, im having one of the race techs at work take a look but im thinking i will replace it all including springs, and also a fair bit of moisture in threre but im thinking that may be where its been sat for ages.

Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

red rubber grease in the calipers, good man

i used to swear by that stuff on my 7r!

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!