1991 KAWASAKI ZXR400-L1 1900 MILES FROM NEW

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

day01543
My Bike: zxr400l1

Re: 1991 KAWASAKI ZXR400-L1 1900 MILES FROM NEW

Post by day01543 »

Hi ya rob,there's one right on my doorstep with 686 miles on the clock!! But it's in a lot worse state than yours.check it out on eBay.I'm glad you managed to sort the tank out,it should be a1 when you've done the carbs.carry on the good work.
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: KR-1R

Post by Top-shaggy »

Looking lovely.. Nearly bought a blue ZXR400 in the 90s.. But in the end picked a Honda CBR600 instead (hangs head in shame..lol)
We are we're we are..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

I know you're going for originality, but..

Don't trust early style intakes.. even new ones.. They all leak unless covered in goo
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Yeah i did wonder. Will see how it is after cleaning the carbs out.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Had some time today to fettle n seems to be running smoother.

I started it up and it ran ok but still had trouble idling. Drained the fuel out of the carbs n there was water in the fuel. Not entirely sure how thats got there unless its from previously or some in the tank from cleaning. Took a sample from the tank (tap on reserve) and apart from a few tiny specs of crap possibly from the container, no water was in the fuel.

got the float bowls off and it was all remarkably clean inside.

All back together n it ran a lot smoother and went about balancing the carbs, id already done them a few weeks back but not since fitting new inlets. Was only slightly out and running very well once done, however the engine would die if i snatched the throttle open.

Got the gauges off n vacuum pipes on n started it up and it werent running so great again :( got the vacuum pipes off n they are slightly cracked on the insides so an order to cradleys at 15.22pm, dispatch confirmation 15.36pm, what a service!!

Bike is all back together in the mean time but with the airbox on the engine doesnt die when snatching the throttle but is very hesitant, slowly opening the throttle helps and revs very cleanly otherwise, its just from tickover it struggles. If im not wrong im guessing it needs the mixture adjusting and ill check it next time round, but my thoughts are it need to be made richer? Hopefuly get round to taking it out for a spin soon and blow out the cobwebs!!
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: KR-1R

Post by Top-shaggy »

If water in the fuel tank / carbs is a problem, I find wynns dry fuel works well. Good to stick in the tank when leaving it standing for a while too (when I'm feeling idle and don't drain it...). Also helps with ethanol problems according to the bottle

http://www.wynns.uk.com/pTIS/GRP_CONS_FUEL/71867_EN.pdf

http://www.wynns.uk.com/ProductOverview ... _CONS_FUEL
We are we're we are..
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

some more work done this week.

Fitted new carb balancing pipes, and quite surprised by the size difference!

Noticeably smaller and obviously less cracked and perished!

Also got some silicone sealant on the inlet faces where they meet the block, so belt and braces with air leaks!

Also had a look at the bogging issue when cracking the throttle open and the hanging revs.

Wound the pilot screws in all the way and then screwed out 1 and 3/4 turns as per the manual. Started it up and still the same issue:

Adjusted the pilot screws again so they were 2 full turns out and it revs without bogging and they don't hang either! So that one is now sorted!

I still don't think it runs quite as smooth as it could be though, have a listen and see what you think, engine is lovely and quiet with the clutch pulled in it just sound like its not running quite on all 4. To be fair, it probably hasn't had the clearances done yet (not even had 2nd service and they have made a huge difference on my last bike...) and I haven't checked the balancing since the sealant has been added although I don't expect that to change it really.

So for now, looks like all the mechanical items are fixed on the ZXR, tempted to do the valve clearances but otherwise I think its ready to lay up for the winter and save up for the cosmetic work I have planned for next year.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

You could of bought the later manifolds for carb's no metal shroud on them.

I just done the first shim check on a ZRX engine - nine needed attention , all tightening up too !!

The ZXR seems to be needing them checked again - getting to be a bitch to start again :smt011 So I think it's engine out and replace with something more tastey from the stock floor :smt016

Sold an RG so that'S a bit of space back to work on things again :smt003

Tank came up a treat :smt004
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly