Waiting for spring =)

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mavve750
My Bike: 5 ninjas and one R1.

Waiting for spring =)

Post by Mavve750 »

Just changed the oil, filter, brake fluid and about to change coolant fluid.

Waiting for the new tires and valves I ordered.

A little bit worried about the cam chain. Last year I pushed the bike a bit hard on the track and it sounds as it rattles a bit. Maybe I'm just too worried.

Anyone tried lighter wheels on these bikes?
I found some nice magwheels that I'm thinking of buying.

How much HP would the BEET titanium system give the bike you think?

What else could I be doing to it? Maybe it's time for new bearings. It's 20 years old now.

Anyway, wish for clear roads and warmer climate:)
Cheers, from Sweden!!
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Waiting for spring =)

Post by Ewetea »

That has to be the best looking "garage" I have every seen!
Just sticking a high performance exhaust on the bike will not have much effect if other things are not done as well: gas-flow the head; dynajet needles; set the bike up on a rolling road. My bike L1, gained 5bhp with those modifications courtesy of Dynapro racing at Runcorn. BUT, even those mods consumed some tidy cash. It depends why you want the increase in power - road or track? 60bhp at the rear wheel should be enough for road use.
My bike was 20 years old when I inspected the bearings, of which there are several: wheels, headstock, swinging arm, rear suspension. Those last two contain a considerable number of needle rollers. They don't turn 360 degrees, but just articulate a few degrees as the suspension operates. Consequently they have a tendency to grind repeatedly on a small section and either wear the surface, or disintegrate...into dust! Needle rollers are not cheap to replace, so there could be some expense with that lot. The upper headstock bearing is the one that takes the weight of the front end, so if that is inspected and appears useable, the lower one should be fine.
My apologies if this has been a "technical" explanation, but in my experience, the inhabitants of all Scandinavian countries speak excellent English.
A little effort during winter will mean plenty of fun on the road in the summer.
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: KR-1R

Post by Top-shaggy »

All that effort with engine and exhaust mods for only 5bhp increase ... I'm in danger of sounding like a boring old party pooper here.. But if it was my road bike I would make sure its running sweet, sort the suspension, bearings, brakes etc and enjoy it :)

The suspension invariably gets looked at last in any need for speed and yet it potentially gives one of the best outcomes per buck

Great looking garage by the way :o)

Oh just read the rest of the post
Um erm.. Now I'm back to being an old fart... A work colleague had featherweight mag wheels on his road bike and the front broke up under braking and he hit a street sign putting him in a wheelchair. So I'm not a big fan of them either on a road bike.. Just too many things to hit if you come off.

Hope the work on the bike goes well. I'm looking forward to the spring too biggrin
We are we're we are..
Plonk
My Bike: GSXR 750 K3

Post by Plonk »

Here here with the garage, needs some racking, tool chest, lathe, radio, kettle and beer fridge! I agree with the above posts, suspension sorted, brakes sorted, happy days. My next upgrade is rider training, all my bikes have more bhp than I can use.Just my two pence worth!
Rides better in my head than on the roads...
Fettled GSXR 750 in stealth black.
Cagiva Mito Mk II
Cagiva Mito Mk II Eddie Lawson Rep
ZXR400 H1 Restoration project