89 Zxr

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

fergy150
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H/ZX6RB1H

89 Zxr

Post by fergy150 »

My zxr, came to me 3 different colours and a box of spare parts
Managed to get it up and running for 30p! + price of mot (all it needed was a reflector)
This is it after changing front forks & rear shock for ones with custom springs/different internals, carbs changed, cleaned & balanced, exhaust swapped for a devil stubby, braided front lines and rebuilt all the calipers with new seals.
Been riding it like this for about 6 months now or so now as I've been building my blade and decided to change it into a track bike!
Its off to the dyno later in the week to see how its running then gonna start messing about with the carbs, airbox, and got some track fairing waiting to go on, then gotta try make the exhaust a bit quieter biggrin
Plonk
My Bike: GSXR 750 K3

Re: 89 Zxr

Post by Plonk »

Nice.....Exhaust quieter.....Really! :pmsl
Rides better in my head than on the roads...
Fettled GSXR 750 in stealth black.
Cagiva Mito Mk II
Cagiva Mito Mk II Eddie Lawson Rep
ZXR400 H1 Restoration project
fergy150

Post by fergy150 »

Got hold of some track fairing from the forum that was supposedly from an 88 zxr but for whatever reason it was just way to narrow to fit my bike (and practically falling to bits). Fortunately I still had my road fairing so with some help from some fiberglass and body filler this happened.

And with some random green spray cans looked like this

Managed to get hold of a quickshifter off ebay

Got it all wired in and connected up ready for track day apart from the small matter of getting of actually getting the engine running (had been sat for 3 months at this point).
With some swearing and easy start got it running beautifully at the track, but for the life of me could not get the damn quickshifter to work while it was moving.
fergy150

Post by fergy150 »

Then the problems started...

Second session out happen to glance down an the temperatures reading off the dial, so I come in and bike starts emptying its coolant out all over the paddock, afterwhile it stops so topped her back up with fluids and carry on, the rest of the day carrys on much like this but she still keeps on going and being very rev happy :excited

Not only that like a right plonker putting the bike back on the trailer got stuck halfway up the ramp, fell off and cracked the rearset so much so it was pretty much in 2 bits :smt011

Consensus in the paddock was that my radiator hoses are well past there prime (they do look and feel ancient) so next got hold of a samco hose kit to try and help with its cooling problem.

While I was fitting this I just happened to take the water pump apart (held together with more instant gasket than I've ever seen) to find this...

Found out that water pumps are like gold dust, lots of covers available but hardly any water pumps. Fortunately local bike breaker had a ZX4R and even though its a different engine turns out their water pump is identical :smt003

While I was doing this thought it would benfit from a nice shin new chain an set of sprockets

Got it all back together at just in time for another trackday

Went a lot better this time with it only losing massive amount of coolant when I stopped and turned the engine off
Last edited by fergy150 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergy150

Post by fergy150 »

Since it kept throwing its guts up and not wanting to destroy her anymore it was time for a strip down and rebuild

took the engine out ready for to sort her out

Head and piston barrels ready for inspection/damage assesment

I was then taking the bit off the head that the small 90 degree pipe from the water pump goes in to and look what I found semi-blocking the holes

So now I at least know what happened to the rest of the water pump!

Next the heads getting a port and a polish, valve seats re cut, new oil seals (as the old ones are leaking quite badly), new valve springs (the olds ones have got 4-5mm deep grooves in them from the valve spring seats or whatever they're called), new piston rings, new cam chain and tensioner and new headers.

O and RMKD gave me the idea that an R6 shock is a good upgrade for the rear as mine needs a rebuild so promptly found a shock from a r6 thats never been used :excited

More to come soon I hope!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

looking alright that :D

1988 front fairing is from a zx4g..hence why it didnt fit btw...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

What year r6 shock fits fergy... smiler
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

great thread, keep it updated !
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
fergy150

Post by fergy150 »

1988 front fairing is from a zx4g..hence why it didnt fit btw...
ahhh that explains a lot!
richyrd5 wrote:What year r6 shock fits fergy... smiler
I've got a 2006 one but when I fit it (if it fits) I'll post pictures on how I did it/any modifications I had to make
richyrd5

Post by richyrd5 »

:excited top man
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: KR-1R

Post by Top-shaggy »

Great thread and pictures :)
We are we're we are..
richyrd5

Post by richyrd5 »

Yup...good thread..i look forward to reading more of this.. winks
zxr400H_297
My Bike: ZXR400H1

Post by zxr400H_297 »

What rear end is that ? was it easy to fit?
fergy150

Post by fergy150 »

zxr400H_297 wrote:What rear end is that ? was it easy to fit?
Its just a race seat unit, it did fit straight on to mine but could really do with an undertray to finish it off