German Zxr 400 L3 - Lightweight & Road Legal

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Re: German Zxr 400 L3 - Lightweight & Road Legal

Post by Dominik »

lol do you mean me becoming fat or unnecessary things like front indicators?
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
wilko
My Bike: zxr400 L1 & R1 4c8

Post by wilko »

Your Bike looks really good. Can I ask what you used for the gear shifter? it looks nice and neat.

Thanks
Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy toad, what a ride!
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

The shift-lever is an standard item. It is directly mounted to the gearing axle which has an 11mm multiple tooth ending. Mine is I think from an Ktm but most crossers do have similiar ones. You only need to measure the right length fitting to your feets ;) And as you dont have the linkage anymore the shifting scheme is inversed (1st gear up, all others down)

Cheers

During the last months I also had the time to optimize the bike a little more and I could get it down to 140,2kg without fuel this weekend. New features are:
-carbon handlebars
-bosch electrical waterpump + alloy/ silicone hoses
-new downpipes
-rear sets I think are new either
-koso db02r tachometer (as my old one was broken...)

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
fergy150
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H/ZX6RB1H

Post by fergy150 »

Bike is looking great!

Just out of interest which Bosch water pump did you use? and where did you position it on the bike?
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

The pump is mounted at the position which allows the shortest possible hoses: on the starter motor/ generator cover. As the fittings are 90° to each other the pipes are all straight.
The water pump has the bosch article number 039202300X. The last number could be 0, 1, 3 or 4 as far is I know. They´re usually installed in Mercedes Benz cars as additional water pump for when the motor isn´t running.
I´ve currently installed it with an on/off switch but I´m planing to get a matching potentiometer (adjustable resistance) so that I can set the fluid rate optimal for the recent conditions, the maximum is 900l/h (pressureless).

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Some new knowledge for your "don´t do this at home" list:
-Carbon fibre handlebars: Bad idea as both are broken. They´d need to be thicker to work fine and then they aren´t much lighter than hollow alloy bars...
-Lightened rear disc (bigger holes and 4mm thickness) got pretty hot during normal use and warped...

Everything else like hollow alloy axles and carbon braided brake hoses do work fine :excited

After this season I decided to rebuild the bike for track days only so that I can get rid of the unnecessary road stuff. I´m looking forward to finish the project this year. However the deadline is April 17...
Things to do:
-Stripped race loom
-Remove starter and generator+flywheel
-building up a 2nd racing engine
-more lightweight stuff

The project began this september and here is what I´ve done till now:

1) Starting point

2) Enginge work (mostly with defect parts for trial here...)

3)Stripped race loom (following Banners great work :smt008 )

4)Lighter alloy linkage and hollow bolts

5) Todays progress, loom installed and some little mods done

Hope you like it so far :D Target is around 70-75hp and 125kg without fuel. If you have any further tips or ideas for a trackbike I´d be glad to hear them oldman
Cheers!
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
wilko

Post by wilko »

Dominik wrote:Thanks :)
The shift-lever is an standard item. It is directly mounted to the gearing axle which has an 11mm multiple tooth ending. Mine is I think from an Ktm but most crossers do have similiar ones. You only need to measure the right length fitting to your feets ;) And as you dont have the linkage anymore the shifting scheme is inversed (1st gear up, all others down

Thanks for the reply. I have not been on here for ages so only just seen it. Loving the bike
Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy toad, what a ride!
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Lol me too

2nd engine is finished and only needs valve clearance to be done. Then i'll find a proper setup and put it on a dyno, expecting 70hp+. Maybe i will build myself an special airbox before next season if i can find enough time. Thinking about an alloy construction as I'm not that firm with GFK or carbon

However I will fit a Mv Agusta f4 race fairing! Ive Seen some 400s with them and I love the style and aerodynamic aspects

The bike is currently under construction and should weigh 131kg now :D
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
wilko

Post by wilko »

I love them with F4 fairings, I always look at them on ASS racings website the bikes are beautiful. Good luck with them build and keep the photos coming.
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Getting started with the Mv Agusta Fairings:

Before this gets finished I´ll put the new engine and a new front fork + axle in within the next days
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Had to wait pretty long on the fairing´s fasteners so I´ve done some more stuff before finishing the fairings:

Bigger 25mm bearings for the zx6r axle, selfmade distance in between fits 100%

Zx6r 07/08 Showa forks

Needs some sort of spacers to get the handlebars in decent positions

Adjustable steering angle which is needed for the Mv Agusta fairings. Thanks to Ass-Racingparts for helping out with brilliant ideas!

New tuned engine with race loom and single coils fitted

And getting it total loss with ASS flat racing cover

Lightened shifting shaft

I´d say that´s about it. Take the fairings on!
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Whoop whoop :excited

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

:excited
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

i was having a think, i bet you could sort out a small arduino/raspberry pie module that would take the sensor data from the heat probe (located with the thermostat) and hook that up to the arduino, and have that control the signal pulses going to the fuel pump.

that way you could always keep the engine at a set point temperature wise, i.e. at a standby your pump would be going quite fast to get hot coolant from the engine to your radiator, and when you start moving your pump speed would slow down, and then gradually buildup speed to maintain the engine temperature. might help keep the temperature good without taping the radiator and having it get too hot in traffic/stationary...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Would probably work but I´ll keep it like that. Haven´t had any problems with coolant temp yet, neither hot nor cold. If I integrate any sort of control then most likely an adjustable resistor...

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg