German Zxr 400 L3 - Lightweight & Road Legal

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

666damned
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Re: German Zxr 400 L3 - Lightweight & Road Legal

Post by 666damned »

loving your work ...and eye for detail.. :gamer
Hobbit
My Bike: ZXR400L9

Post by Hobbit »

Do you know what weight the bike was originally and what it weighs now? Just out of curiosity.
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Post by Dominik »

Hi,
The bike was 176kg stock. Now it's around 130kg without fuel both. However there have been some more updates last time which haven't been updated here yet.
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

So I´ll finaly update this thread again :D

After fitting the Mv Agusta F4 Fairings and some other minor changes like fork and loom and enginge tuning it was time to get the bike on track. First challenge should be a 2h endurance race on the Nürburgring GP track which is quite close to my home. So I´ve got everything packed, put slicks on and was ready to race. During one hour of free training the bike felt pretty good and did what it was supposed to. The koso lambda meter showed that it was running slightly rich and as I had the db-killer in the power wasn´t 100% as good as in test rides. Following the air-fuel-ratio I modified the airbox inlet and got good values during the qualifying in which I pushed the bike and myself a little more to our limits. However the bike still felt great.
It came to the race and I did almost one corner till the engine failed :tease I was on the brake and when I opened that I noticed that the engine wasn´t running anymore. The bike wouldn´t bump-start anymore as the rear wheel was stuck/ blocked. No chance to get everything fixed at the weekend but I found a damaged camshaft that day so that was it. Time to get home and see what´s wrong...

Finally the one cam cover was knackered and I assume oil pressure got lost there as the camshaft bearing on cylinder 1 outlet was the only one which was totally damaged, all others had normal to heavier signs of wear for an 8000km enginge. Theoretically the polished head should go to the waste now but I didn´t like that why I´ve decided to rebuild it.
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Engine situation:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

Luckily I do have enough spare parts so I took cam covers and shafts from the second enginge an made them fit the other cylinder head. They are theoretically not interchangeable so they needed some grinding and polishing. That way the bearings were rebuilt either. Good oldschool mechanics oldman
Afterwards everything was put together and the engine ran again. Needs some more time to proove its function before the next race though...

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Next step was more power and less weight. I guess that´ll always help :D

I´ve got myself a BB-Plastics ram-airbox which will do both, generate power and save weight. To make it fit it needed some grinding where the front tank mounts are. Additionally between the inlets there were some sort of deepenings which weren´t deep enough. So the throttle body hit them and you couldn´t use it that way. I´ve cut them out either and need any good ideas to make the box sealed again now... HELP!
Everything else was quite okay, the rad needed to be lowered and got some lightweight aluminium mounts to do that. Will need to check if the Mv Agusta fairings fit while it is in that position as they were already pretty tight before. Otherwise I´ll probably get a smaller and lighter radiator with. Modern ones do have more rows per height so the cooling power shouldn´t go down much.
Yesterday I had some more time and isolated the airbox using heat reflective material. Extra horsepower, you know...

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Ram Air Setting will be one of the next steps when I have more time in august and september.

Next to that I am fitting a Honda Rs125 rear fairing. I´ve seen that on jim´s cafe racer zxr and it looks awesome. So the fairing got ordered and mounted using some sort of rope. Once a good position was found I built a wooden subframe step for step and found a good looking and stable design for it´s final version. This will be made in aluminum and carbon in the next week(s).
All in all I´m looking forward to see the complete rear frame+ fairings to weigh around 2kg. That would save aproximately 2kg over the standard one.

As if that was not enough yet I got some good priced Marchesini forged rims of a Ducati 1098S. Only front rim will be used though. The rim itself weighs like 3,0-3,3kg and it comes with 330mm (!) discs. Actually I do like smaller ones as they are lighter but even with those the Ducati parts will save ~1,5kg unsprung rotating weight over my current setup with 280mm discs. Axle is 25mm and can easily be used with the zx6r forks, only thing which is harder to modify are some distances for the disc to get some more offset. I´ll let those manufacture and then the rim should be an easy fit :)

The bike will be weighed again after the rear and the rim are done. And after the rear brake is done, i´ve got some more to happen there :pmsl THEN I am looking to see something like 127kg without fuel on the scale :excited
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Rear Brake: Don´t know if I´ve mentioned it here before but I´m gonna fit a mountain bike caliper to my racebike. It is a 4 piston monoblock with 160g only, the Magura MT5. This will be used with a 200m diameter brake disc wich is 3mm strong (weighs 333g w/o holes, 233g w/ them)

Yesterday I manufactured the necessary bracket for it out of Aluminum 7075. As I don´t have any special CNC tools or such it is easy constructed and handmade... However it weighs only 150g so I conclude the rear brake to a total weight of only 650g!!! The oem construction weighs 2900g!

Manufacturing

Downside-Up test

Almost final edition using the swingarm to take brake force
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Subframe 2.0
Still not finished at all :smt015

However its weight won´t change that much anymore and it will be like 600g. The fairing is 1250g so I´m gonna save some weight here either
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

vacuum pump...autoclave...carbon frame...you know it makes sense :smt003
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Sounds like I finally found a sponsor :D You!
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

i actually have access to a 7 cubic meter autoclave, and vacuum pumps, so easily big enough for a frame...dont know if i would be able to maintain the vacuum when its autoclaving as the tubing would be crushed and i dont think that autoclave has ports to feed in tubing...

plus its in england, and i cant imagine its that easy to make a frame mould with metal inserts in...though i do have contacts at ducati uk, tata and JLR...
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Finished? :excited

Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

:excited
ziky112
My Bike: zxr400L

Post by ziky112 »

banner001 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 pm
:excited
Hi,
Nice bike!
Im building track day zxr too. Maybe we can share some info. How are you e.g. satisfied with vacuum fuel pump and koso tach?