my '93 ZXR 400

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

jimmymc
My Bike: zxr 400 L3

my '93 ZXR 400

Post by jimmymc »

Hello all,

Heres my ZXR:

I am not much interested in riding these days I've had a good few years of riding but time and family etc have taken over and the solitary riding time has been put on the back burner.

So the story so far I go and see a sorry bike, take it home not knowing whether it is going to bankrupt me or be kind to me in return for me giving it a little tlc but i thought I'd give it a go.

So as soon as it was off the back of my pickup I started stripping it and gathering info on the extent of the neglect. It's pretty much stripped now and there are a few parts that need replacing and some old worn out parts I'd like to replace because I'm picky but it is all there , all tight and well lubed, if not a little scruffy ( sounds like an ex girlfriend ) :pmsl and I believe it'll be a good basis for a restoration project.

So hopefully you guys will be able to help out along the way when I get brain freeze and can't fathom out the best way forward!

I know I'm going to need to spend way more than it'll be worth when I'm finished and that it'll make me want to pull my hair out but it has to be done
It's probably going to be the bike that I keep in the garage and mess with and possibly ride every so often and that excites me a bit. My last bike was a Ktm and it did anything but excite me, I've always liked the zxr 400 , it's a great looking bike , it looks relatively easy to work on and there seems to be a supply of parts readily available . Some admittedly more than others!

It has now been completely stripped and the list of parts i want is not as long as i would expect!
Radiator, exhaust swingarm (maybe) fork seals nose cone , carbs ( broke them taking them off)

Does anyone know if this was a factory paint scheme? It looks like a factory job but I've never seen another the same so far? heres one of the Fairings , does anyone recognise this as a factory scheme:

any help would be greatly appreciated.
also, what do i do? powder coat all the parts? or go for paint?? decisions decisions!

Cheers
Jimmy
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: my '93 ZXR 400

Post by bendog66 »

No it's not a factory paint job. It's a race rep repaint the same as my mates, I'll check which specific one next time I see him
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

Thanks for the reply bendog,

So that is what it should look like, i wondered about race rep schemes aswell . I do think it looks fantastic on your mates bike , i will need to find out more, this leads to another question though? What would it have come from the factory like? Im guessing blue green white? It has a silver frame so i think it would have been those colours.

Throws up loads of ideas for finished paint? Restore it in the race rep colours? Restore it to factory?
Tough decisions !

Thanks again bendog, i shall research the race colours .

Cheers

Jimmy
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

No problem, I'll ask him next time I see him and let you know. It's nice, I went with a not race rep but not factory paint job when I rebuilt mine
jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

It's a toughie!

I'd like a pair, zxr 400 and zxr 750

Sold my 750 a few years back and would like another. Two factory looking ,either end of my living room would put a smile on my chops.

Although I'm not sure I'm keen on the L3 original factory green white and blue looks. . .?
My preference is for earlier style , clean graphics , etc. Il see if I can find a pic.

Cheers

Jimmy
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

The L1 is the nicest of the green/white/blue colour scheme, although i do like my swishes...

L1-2:

L3:

L4-8:

L9:
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

I have to agree wholeheartedly that the L1 is in my opinion the best looking.

The one i have is an L3 , i think the only way to fix this is get one of each! Haha!

I find it hard to see any other bike of the era , either 750 or 400 any better looking. I think a little collection should be had here!

Cheers for the reference pics, those are a great help.

I had wondered why some had sguiggled tanks and some didnt. Now i know!

Cheers

Jimmy
Last edited by jimmymc on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob398
My Bike: 1991 ZXR400 L2

Post by Rob398 »

I think the race rep paint job is nice with the black underbelly and the white number backing on the seat, if the paint isn't too bad I would leave it as is. Rob
jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

Plan is to get it repainted in same colour scheme.
I tried to get pics up of the progress but so far have been unable.
I will try again.

I believe you had been to see the bike when it for sale earlier in the year Rob?
Rob398

Post by Rob398 »

Hi Jimmy, I didn't go and see the bike but I was tempted!! How is the build progressing?
Rob398

Post by Rob398 »

jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

Hi Rob,

The rebuilding is coming along well, rebuilt the motor last night, with the intention of getting it in and fired up this weekend.
The engine has been rebuilt using new parts, except for the barrels :smt005 I used the best available set I had to put it back together. They were not the best.
So i'm hoping they hold up and don't destroy the new internals completely. Here's hoping!

So yes , plan is to get it back in the frame and have it running this weekend, then it should just leave the body/paintwork to make a move on in the winter months!

I need to speak to the flying Scotsman from here , I believe he has a local painter doing his so id like to know how he gets on with it and get mine done..............I have also contemplated doing it myself, although im not entirely sure I have the patience! :pmsl

Oh , and im considering having the wheels powdercoated again, they are green but just not the green I wanted! :pmsl so again , I need to rethink that .

Cheers Jimmy.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

we will have to have a meeting of wheels...if the green wheel colour you want is the green colour i want then ill go halves with you on the powdercoating.

i was told last time that ill need to order a really specific colour (or mix) of powder, they will need to clean the lines and run mine, then clean the lines again...i was getting quotes around £500 all in which is £400 more than it should be...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

Afternoon Banner,

Mine are id say, a darker green, if i can get my pics uploaded to photobucket, (im using a mac, last time i managed no problem this time i seem to have forgotten how) you can have a look for yourself. I have some wotht the rear tail section fitted, so you can see the colour difference quite well.
But yeah you can have a look see what you think.
jimmymc

Post by jimmymc »

Good evening gents!

So i have sorted out the Photobucket dilemma and can now show you some pics of the progress.

So from how i got it.......Image

Some tearing apart, lots of muck and years of neglect.......ImageImageImage
Chopped rear loom, made up B&Q brackets the list goes on ! :pmsl URL=http://s359.photobucket.com/user/jimmym ... 2.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
More mild decay...........
The strip continues..............

Found this little gem.............

Had a notion of painting the frame and swingers myself ...which i did.......Image

Then thought nahhhhhhhhh, il get it all powdercoated.........missed a few pics from the powdercoaters to the build starting!Image

Outside building some more.......wheels are definitely not the green I'm after.....

Picked up a nose cone....to be painted soon.........

More building..........

And more building...........
This Pic shows the difference in the paint between wheels and bodywork, although the bodywork will be repainted it shall remain the same shade of green , same paint job only new paint basically.

These are all the pics i have so far , although the progress is a little further on, the engine has been rebuilt and is in and running, need to sort out the stainless headers and a slip on can somehow, and generally tidy up the wiring etc etc, next couple of weeks should see the whole thing done except bodywork. il tackle that as soon as possible but not got a lot of time now so it may need to wait a bit.

Will get together a list of all the things that have been done so far and il post them up .

Cheers
Jimmy