ZXR400H Rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

aidan8888
My Bike: Hayabusa

ZXR400H Rebuild

Post by aidan8888 »

Ok, So I got this as my first bike back in 2007. It was very rough even at this early stage, I probably rode it for about 6 months and then had a minor off and parked it up in my garden for 8 years.

How it stood at this point,looking very sorry for itself. Iv'e had a few bikes in between but as this was my first bike and been neglected for so long I though it was time to give it a full rebuild. I have limited mechanical ability so I am learning as I go, I've also just become an apprentice for a large engineering company so i'm learning a bit at work as well. Ill try and get a photo of every stage, and if anyone wants any help on anything ive done just shoot me a PM and ill help if I can.

This was one of the main roadblocks for the project, most places that I took the bike to wouldn't attempt this repair,but I found a local fabrication company willing to give it a try. With this renewed confidence I set about fully stripping the bike.

With the frame stripped I could get it blasted ready for welding

Another slight issue was this bent sub frame, as a new one was 20 quid it was worthwhile replacing rather than repairing.

New subframe, new vs old,just a matter of swapping over all ancillaries

Getting the frame back from being chemically stripped at a local blasting/stripping firm (Midlands Coating Removal Process)

With all the paint removed the weld could be redone, for the pricely sum of £20.

Ready for powedercoating!

After a struggle all the bearings came out after years of siezing into place.

Subframe loosly bolted on to check fit, now the Swing arm needs new needle bearings. Whilst it is so far disassembled it is worth biting the bullet and getting it done now, not a bad lookign frame considering it is 26 years old!

Now I dropped the wheels (after tyres being removed by Sticky Lee, in Shifnal,Telford) off to be blasted and powder coated whilst I got on with the swing arm

New bearings for the frame and wheels

Driving in the new bearings-

All tourqued up to spec.

After a struggle, and more help from sticky lee the old headstock bearing races came out, the new ones went in much easier

New headstock bearings fitted after a slight clean of the tripple trees

Wheels picked up, going for what I believe is the original paint scheme, Red,Black and Ebony.

Old suspension was completely shot,so replaced with new where available.

Starting to get to know my powedercoater very well! With new bolts I can start to reassemble.

The rear shock linkage appears to be beyond recovery,so new bearings,o rings and seals ordered for a full rebuild, this is how it looked after 8 years of being sat in a garden.

And stripped for rebuilding

Ready for reassembly

Clearing out the excess powdercoating with a tap

New bearings and seals

Now assembled with the rear swing arm attachment arms,will hopefully be ok for another 26 years!

Last edited by aidan8888 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watsonm359
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Re: ZXR400H Rebuild

Post by watsonm359 »

Looking good there mate. I noticed however, that a number of brackets were bent after being powder coated which may cause the paint to flake off when you attempt to straighten them! A minor observation, but none the less the job seems to be going well.

How's the wiring loom after being sat for so long and also the engine?
aidan8888

Post by aidan8888 »

watsonm359 wrote:Looking good there mate. I noticed however, that a number of brackets were bent after being powder coated which may cause the paint to flake off when you attempt to straighten them! A minor observation, but none the less the job seems to be going well.

How's the wiring loom after being sat for so long and also the engine?
I hadn't noticed mate, I took it all apart so long ago I cant remember what they were meant to look like! Which ones in particular? Ive got more to powdercoat so I'll try straightening them now and go from there.

As for the loom its always been a bit ropy with lots of old splicing and dodgy connections, so I think I might be looking at a replacement.

The engine is getting a full rebuild, Ive just managed to strip the head down, but it might be expensive.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

looking good, your doing the same thing as me :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
watsonm359

Post by watsonm359 »

They should come as a pair although I only saw one on the table with all the parts coated in silver and it was one of the brackets that secures to the main spar of the frame, securing the side panel. If you look closely you will see that the sides are folded in! You can bend them back, but they'll never be perfect unless you've got OCD!
The others to watch out for are the two brackets that hold the wiring loom connectors from the main loom to the switch gear connectors and attach to the front sections of the frame. They twist and bend quite easily.
Any fairing brackets will bend easily enough if the bike had been dropped and I've had some that look fine until you fit them and then try to connect the fairing!
I'm on a full resto project and I'm a year in already. I'm having the frame, swingarm and sub-frame painted next year whereby I can carry out a good portion of the rebuild having gathered a hefty collection of parts both new and old.
Expensive is an understatement, but the end product will be well worth it.....I hope!
aidan8888

Post by aidan8888 »

watsonm359 wrote:They should come as a pair although I only saw one on the table with all the parts coated in silver and it was one of the brackets that secures to the main spar of the frame, securing the side panel. If you look closely you will see that the sides are folded in! You can bend them back, but they'll never be perfect unless you've got OCD!
The others to watch out for are the two brackets that hold the wiring loom connectors from the main loom to the switch gear connectors and attach to the front sections of the frame. They twist and bend quite easily.
Any fairing brackets will bend easily enough if the bike had been dropped and I've had some that look fine until you fit them and then try to connect the fairing!
I'm on a full resto project and I'm a year in already. I'm having the frame, swingarm and sub-frame painted next year whereby I can carry out a good portion of the rebuild having gathered a hefty collection of parts both new and old.
Expensive is an understatement, but the end product will be well worth it.....I hope!
Thanks for the observations, I think i'm missing quite a few brackets. I'll probably only know which ones when I try to reassemble!
banner001 wrote:looking good, your doing the same thing as me :D
Cheers mate, I've just started following your project.
watsonm359

Post by watsonm359 »

I've just had most of my brackets plated in olive drab like the original colour and they've come up great. Other parts have been both nickel and zinc plated in order to try and maintain the originality, although finding a decent company that does all that is a gamble unless they've been recommended! I used someone highly recommended through a story in practical Sports Bikes recently. Took a month from posting out and then receiving the parts, but the time spent waiting was well worth it.
Looking at all the parts that you've had powder coated, if that is everything thing then yes, you are missing one or two brackets!
I will get pictures uploaded in the New Year as the bike is in Norfolk and I'm living in S-Wales!