Rebuild and respray of zxr 400

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

mongo

Re: Rebuild and respray of zxr 400

Post by mongo »

They are the standard zxr yokes, i was going to use the zx6r top yoke but never bothered to line it up etc to see if it would fit, just to make the bike that little bit more different....

i have now added the samco hoses and im wiring up the stick coils. Need to find an exhaust strap and may whack on an akra slip on exhaust (if one comes up).
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

mongo wrote:. Need to find an exhaust strap and may whack on an akra slip on exhaust (if one comes up).
where are you located? and what sort of strap?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
mongo

Post by mongo »

im in edinburgh, the current exhaust is a micron and is a bolt on, which doesnt go with the hanger. So im looking for a strap that fits the micron (i think its a 65mm circumfrence, maybe just a slight bit bigger)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

might have one in my shed i'll have a look tomoz.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
mongo

Post by mongo »

Well it hardly looks any different today, apart from i treated it to samco coolant hoses and plugged them on.

At the weekend just passed, i stripped the carbs right down, cleaned them all up. Re-done my stick coil conversion for the bike (had it running on another zxr 400) so just used the wiring diagrams adn made myself up another lead and have lots of coils spare.

Slapped some jump leads onto the terminals hooked up to a car battery i have, slapped on the fuel pump and a funnel to the pump. Took the spark plugs out let the egine spin over quite a few times, so there was no compression on the rings and the bike has sat for about 8 months since i filled it with oil (oil was poured directly over the cams).

Slapped the spark plugs back in, fuel into the funnel, primed it up on the starter.

Vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooom! Let it run for 15 seconds then cut it off, as i havent filled up the coolant system yet, as i need to tidy up the wiring.

Still lots of things to sort, but will get some piccies up of progress made soon. Who knows i may even have it MOT'd by the end of summer!
liam7200
My Bike: R6

Post by liam7200 »

you got any finished pics of it mongo
live fast, die smiling....no regrets!
take care, live a long and tedious life!!!
I choose smiling!!!
mongo

Post by mongo »

Well, the last couple of days I have been putting the bike back together. I pretty much only need a couple of fairing brackets and then i need to cut back the resprayed fairing panels with a polishing mop.

I had the engine fired up last autumn and it was all running nice. I have fitted the new chain and sprockets and bled the front brakes up, just need to wait on a rear braided line to appear and some new indicators, then i will fit everything back on and take it for its MOT! Will get some pictures tomorrow of how it looks.
mongo

Post by mongo »

Well ,I cracked on with more today. Heres a picture of how the bike was this morning.

My stainless steel rear braided hose arrived, and a couple of other bits. So put the fairing mounts on as well, and sanded and sprayed the old fairing bolt holders as well. Need to order up a few more pieces, however all going well i should have it on the road for June.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Looking very good!
mongo

Post by mongo »

Almost there, fitted the panels back on today to see how she looked, i still got a few things i want to do to tidy it up a little more, but heres how she looks, its only taken 6 odd years :smt003

Still need to get some mirrors, put the hoover tubes on, tidy up the wiring coming into the nose cone area and wire in teh indicators, then its time for its MOT.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

My god that looks lovely! Love the middle picture!
SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

WOW that looks sweet!!
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
mongo

Post by mongo »

A date ive actually stuck to! She passed her MOT on Friday 27th of May, no advisories, i have bunged some road tax on her as well. Im not too happy with the mirrors and i may get some other decals to put on instead in proper chrome rather than silver. But heres how she looks now

SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

Can i ask what you've done in regards to the speedo, have you used the standard cable arrangement?

Cheers

SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
mongo

Post by mongo »

SOILZX wrote:Can i ask what you've done in regards to the speedo, have you used the standard cable arrangement?

Cheers

SOILZX
I posteds this a long long time ago, you cant fit the speedo drive onto the axle as it offsets the wheel to much, you could probably machine it to get it fitted though. Im just in the process of getting the zxr front wheel to work with the zx6r wheel spindle as well.

I bought a koso RX1N digital speedo to put on the bike, i just havent got round to fitting it yet, which has a magnet and a sensor that needs hooked up.