my bargain

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: my bargain

Post by Mori Man »

Dolts wrote:They look nice what exhausts do you have and prices?
Got a BEET Ti in a box somewhere - link pipe is cut down so was going to get a 130' bend and put a MotoGP can on it so it just exits behind riders pegs :smt003 - Headers n link pipe as is 18,000 Yen or about 130 GBP

Over Racing Suzuka 8hr system - 40,000 Yen or about 280 GBP

Daishin Racing Aluminium alloy one piece - 25,500 Yen or about 185 GBP (this weighs under 2Kg ! )

RPM 4-2-1 - 12,000 Yen or about 85 GBP

Could have another system in a box :smt017 Got my F3 but that probably will never be for sale :smt007

If interested in the BEET would need to know how you want it as is or a complete system, Ti bend needs bought , I have a MotoGP can in stock in Stainless but others can be sought in alloy or Ti.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Dolts
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by Dolts »

Got an exhaust off ebay, not too sure of the make of downpipes/collector, but the battered can is Scorpion, not bad for £46!
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

ive got scorpion downpipes and they look pretty similar to them, although ive got an art can.so i think its a full scorpion system
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

Awesome thanks, how do you find them? Have you changed the jetting at all?
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

mines only a road bike, but ye its been dyno'd with different needles and jets still running standard airbox,filter and snorkel.cant remember what size jets are though.
bike still isnt perfect though as i think the carbs need a rebuild.
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

Mine is going to stay standard airbox, tubes etc for now too need to get it running then on a dyno to set the jetting and see if I need to advance the timing for the stick coils
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

Can anyone tell me if these are standard forks or SP? also is there anyway of checking my engine number to check i didn't buy a stolen engine?

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

They sure look it - they also have an adjuster below the caliper too , if not they aint SP

Only way is ask plod to check it

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

No adjuster under caliper, so must just be stock L model. who will be best to service them and the shock? What should i do to the suspension for the track? service and revalve forks and shock? or re spring too?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

The very fact that your engine still has a number on it would indicate that it is NOT stolen

From memory ACU scrutineers will reject a bike that does not have frame and engine numbers and will report that to police...............
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

few things ive done recently...removed excess tabs from subframe....
Before
After
Rad and guard painted
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

worth repairing?

Went to replace the exhaust studs ans some were bent, and three of them snapped1 think now is a good time to strip and rebuild the engine as i dont know the history of it, i will get the head skimmed and can anyone recommend any other (cheap) mods to do now? porting/polishing etc, can i do it myself?

Also got some new embossed stickers from the BMF

along with this mug and Tshirt
Think the Tshirt would be awsome with a zxr400 design! ;)
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

The fact that the caliper pistons are in the calipers will probably have preserved them from corrosion. You'll have to get them out without damaging them, which you should have done before splitting them so put them back together again. Best way to get them out then is with an air line or you can rig them up to a master cyclinder and pump fluid in to push them out. Any fluid will do, don't waste brake fluid unless you have to. Pump one side out first so the pistons are almost out, then keep those pistons pressed where they are while you pump the other side out. Then you split the calipers and remove the pistons. You'll need to get a grip on them and wiggle them free. You may have to use grips while protecting them from scoring with something. If you do put marks on them, providing the marks are on the very ends of the pistons which don't pass through the seals you can still use them. Unless the pistons are seriously corroded they are good to go. The calipers look definitely repairable to me, just clean up with emery and respray. New seal set from Wemoto and new pistons if you need to (although if you need new pistons that's when it could be uneconomic).

That corrosion on the faces of the pistons is no big deal, clean up with emery and put a smear of coppaslip on. When you put the pistons back in coat the bits that are exposed in red rubber grease. Do NOT use any other kind of grease, it will bugger up the seals.

I'd drill a hole into the ends of those snapped studs, then hammer a slightly larger torx or allen headed socket into the hole. Apply plenty of heat with a blow torch to the head around where the stud screws in. Then use a ratchet on the socket to unscrew them. With care they should come out of the head.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

Wow it's been a while! Just a quick update! It lives! Fired first try after not running for at least 10 years! Needs balancing and setting up, but it idles, and first time I've ever done shims, there's no tapping! Will try to get a video up!
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

So recent work is as follows
Rebuilt carbs with new float valves Sears and seals dynojet stage1 needles and mains, blanked air correctors
EBC SRC Kevlar clutch kit with heavy duty springs
Fired it for the first time!
Now I need to balance the carbs and slot the pickup to advance the ignition slightly.
Source a zx6r shock
Refurb forks
Buy brake discs
Source gsxr 6 pots
Fabricate captive rear caliper mount
Paint wheels
Chain and sprocket kit

The list goes on