my bargain

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Re: my bargain

Post by Mori Man »

Are those calipers 90mm spacing - think i can find adapters for them if so!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Dolts
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by Dolts »

Finally managed to get something done today! I got the motor out and started to strip it to see exactly how bad it is.
When i went to drain the oil, i got 2 bowls of water, followed by 2 bowls of what resembled oil!

The following pictures are a very good example of why we dont leave a bike outside, uncovered with no carbs etc for long periods of time! :smt013

No wonder it wouldnt turn over!

There is now half the worlds supply of WD40 on the pistons to try and free them from the bores so i can see what state the crank is in.

Stay tuned
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

toad the bed mate! good luck with that! Even the cooling jacket looks gummed up!
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

Yup! anyone wanna donate an engine? not to fussed on condition, cant be as bad as this!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

got one on ebay mate click me
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Have to say I wouldn't even waste your time investigating that engine ! Bin it, and put your labour time towards another.

Like said before - a brave project but it's going to be so satisfying the day you "hurl" it round a track sorted :smt004

ATB,

DS :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

After a little bit of persuation, i managed to seperate the bores from the rest of the casing, then took the pistons off, and the remainder of the bottom end seems to be ok, s i think i will service it and reuse.
How easy are the sleeves to get out of the water jacket? and am i looking at extortionate amounts to replace them? same for piston and valve prices

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

rebore and +1mm pistons ?
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

ah yes, didnt think of that Zimm! and if im right, thats still within formula 400 spec!, now where do i get +1mm pistons from?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

kawasaki go up to +.5 .. not sure who for +1..

ring round the tuners .. dynotech etc i guess.
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

Dynotech do the +1mm pistons, however, only bemsee allow a 2% allowance on bore size for repairs allowing the+1mm, most other clubs F400 rules won't allow that, I beleive they'll be manufacturers tolerence, which is the +.5mm pistons as supplied by Kawasaki. If this is on a tight budget as it seems, I would suggest that new pistons are not an option anyway, with rings that'll work out about £200, plus you'll need an overbore, whereas rings are approx £100 a set. Whilst the xtra 6cc for +.5mm or 12cc for +1mm oversize pistons help, they'll be far more to gain elsewhere first :smt002
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

Do you think i'd be better off trying to source stock items, or a replacement motor?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

wont the head clean up with an electric wire brush and more WD40? Then you just need to find barrels/pistons which im sure AMS will have as im sure ive seen them selling split engines.

You know i think its just gonna be easier to find a new motor.
Dolts

Post by Dolts »

yeah it would be aesier to buy your motor Rob, but im skint at the moment. I think the head will clean up, shouldnt take too much.
I think sourcing a set of barrels and pistns will be the first choice, then see how it runs.
Needs a lot of money spending on it yet, fork rebuild, tank, loom, want to replace wheel/head and swinger bearings, tyres, bodywork.
Was ready to start buying stuff for it, then work changed the pay structure from weekly to 4 weekly, and to be honest im a retard when it comes to money and im hopeless at managing it!

Also, i know this has been asked a load of times, but what would the best CDI be to use for racing? I am looking at gettin the Track Electronics loom, so i assume i wont need the M-Max box behind the clocks anymore?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

bearings are expensive mate, the head set alone will set you back 70 quid (35 quid for the top and bottom seperately) and needle roller bearings are a tenner each which are used in the swingarm pivot and suspension linkage, and to memory you will need 5 or 6 of those. I tried to source them elsewhere but the only place that seem to do them were kawasaki. Only alternatives i could find were for the wheel bearings and the sprocket carrier bearing which were about 4 quid each.

I think the UK CDI (blue sticker with M on it) is best from what i remember Zimm saying, you get a 14,900 rpm rev limit with that and you wont be needing to worry about the derestrictor box either. As for weather its the best to go with that particular loom ive no idea. Im sure others will be along to fill you in on that note.

When i was doing mine up, best thing to do is write down what your going to do and get an estimate of how much is going to all cost, and budget to spend X amount each month otherwise you end up spending everything you have and nothing to live on. I personally tried to get the expensive stuff first as that way each month only gets cheaper as you go through, well not cheaper as such but you will find yourself being able to buy more as the bits you plan to buy are cheaper. :smt001