ZX400 Write off Any thoughts ??

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

quaidpinder

Re: ZX400 Write off Any thoughts ??

Post by quaidpinder »

After speaking to the previous owner , he seems to thinks he had been sold the bike in this condition and they passed it ... going to try a rebuild on a new frame wish me luck !!! thanks for everyones input !
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

That makes him a dealer.................you now have more rights..................

Demand your money back.................and report him to trading standards if he doesn't pay up.

Do not let it drop...................some other person may buy a bike from him and get killed or injured as a result.
quaidpinder

Post by quaidpinder »

I forgot to add that he knew nothing of the dent other than the painted part on the frame and assumed it was just an ok repair ,,, the place he always used for mots passed the bike with no mention of this dent or bent frame issue that i have, also the trick would be proving that he knew the bike was unroadworthy or un repairable .. so i think the only thing i can do is a rebuild ,, or unless the garage i took it to are being a little melodramatic ?
will#224
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: L1 racer

Post by will#224 »

I've worked for a bike shop that did mots and noticing frame damage like that is unlikely. The amount of bikes to MOT in a day along with the sevicing etc meant that most bikes were tested as required then a quick look over them. As you thought it was just a cack paint repair i doubt an mot place would notice otherwise. If you can find who did the repair and they'll admit to it then your sorted otherwise i'd just rebuild. Its good fun stripping and rebuilding a bike anyway :smt001
quaidpinder

Re: ZX400 Write off rebuilt finally

Post by quaidpinder »

Well ive finally rebuilt the zx400 after this frame nightmare , ive actually changed the frame twice as the first one i picked up cheap with no log book ,which was a mistake on my part as the dvla wanted me to take the bike for an mvsa check at taunton some 130 miles away and register it under a q registration . after that i was pretty annoyed as nothing was seeming easy with this project , after a month or two i sourced another good frame and started the rebuild again , i finally finished it last night although i have a couple of little problems to sort out ,, it has an irratating wiring fault the indicators keep coming on when the headlamp is switched on ??? and it needs a new throttle cable apart from that she ready for the trip back to the mot station :excited

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

well done! Bet your chuffed with that!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

disconnect the grey wire leading to the front indicators, they come on as "position lights" as there's no sidelight bulb in the headlight

seem to recall the above de-restricts them too... but it was a long time ago..
quaidpinder

Post by quaidpinder »

ok thanks i will give it a try ,, thought it was a lose connection or a bad earth as i dont think the rears come on just the fronts when the headlamp is turned on .. :smt003 if i wiggle the connection around that goes to the side lights then sometimes they blink out , im no bloody good with electrics :smt011 .. ?