What I've been doing over winter

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

What I've been doing over winter

Post by hciR »

I've been doing a bit of restoration over winter so thought I'd do a little write up.

Around august last year on one of the hottest days of the summer my head gasket decided to let go. So out came the engine with the intension of getting it up and running again to see off the last few good days, before being wrapped up for winter.

But seeing it engineless and looking a bit sorry for itself I decided to strip it down for powder coating/ bolt replacement/ new parts, and generally a good going over so it will be nice and fresh for the spring.

Various bits stripped and hammerite’d

Satin black frame with gloss black wheels powder coated

I also decided to strip, re-anodise, and re-build the forks. The original plan was to get the stanchions coated black, with the outer tubes clear anodised after polishing. It turned out that the black DLC coating on modern forks is very expensive. So I’m going with normal stanchions and gold tubes. Still waiting for the tubes to get back from the anodisers though, here they are after a hand and mind numbing polishing session. :smt089

Another little personal touch was getting the top yoke engraved. This is the only pic I could find of it before it got black anodised.

And after

And the piece de resistance which finally arrived today along with my new rubber. :excited
Lots of new bolts and random bits

So that’s where I am at the moment, all the parts I have been waiting (in some cases weeks) for have arrived, the engine is pretty much done, it just need to all be bolted back together.

However sods law that I now have exams for the next two weeks, and have convinced myself to put a hold on the project until they are over. So I will update this thread when I start building it back up. :smt023
Tyrant

Re: What I've been doing over winter

Post by Tyrant »

I'm so jealous! Good job!
I'll be calling on you for advice when I do mine. The black anodised yoke is my favourite bit. :)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

love that top yoke!!! wanna sell?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Gorgeous!
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

masterofinsanity wrote:love that top yoke!!! wanna sell?
nope :smt018
Forks should be done tomorrow hopefully. Can anyone recommend some crash bungs for the zxr? R&G are the obvious choice, but not sure how far they stick out :smt017
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

This is best pic ive got, they dont look like they come out very far but i prome you they work. I had a slow spill in the car park at work in the snow a few weeks back and panel werent even touched.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L3

Post by saka_ZXR »

RedexRobB wrote:This is best pic ive got, they dont look like they come out very far but i prome you they work. I had a slow spill in the car park at work in the snow a few weeks back and panel werent even touched.
They R&G them rob?

Gonna get some on mine and a set of rearsets.
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Good to know they do their job, i've now got some on the way.

Picked up the fork tubes today, really happy with how they came out.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

oooooo would you look at them!!! 8)
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

saka_ZXR wrote:
RedexRobB wrote:This is best pic ive got, they dont look like they come out very far but i prome you they work. I had a slow spill in the car park at work in the snow a few weeks back and panel werent even touched.
They R&G them rob?

Yes R&G :)

Liking the fork tubes Rich, just hope they dont get messed up putting the yokes on, might wanna stick a wedge in the fork clamps to open them up a bit. Otherwise, they are going to look stunning against that black frame.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

Those tubes are BLING! How much they set u back?
If it's broke spray it with WD40, if it's still broke spray it again and leave it over night, if it's still broke, bin it.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

RedexRobB wrote:
saka_ZXR wrote:
They R&G them rob?

Yes R&G :)

Liking the fork tubes Rich, just hope they dont get messed up putting the yokes on, might wanna stick a wedge in the fork clamps to open them up a bit. Otherwise, they are going to look stunning against that black frame.
Thats a good point, i might also polish the inside of the yoke so less chance of it scratching/wearing.
Was £20 to get them anodised, I did the hard part which was polishing them.
saka_ZXR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by saka_ZXR »

£20 that it?

Wow,nice one mate.

Can't wait to see the finished bike
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

yep, I thought it would be more tbh but I suppose there's not really much involved its not as expensive as painting.
simmo
My Bike: zxr400L/vfr400nc30/er5

Post by simmo »

theres some real nice bits here already, im looking forward to seeing it completed biggrin