From pit to post

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

wonderpupp
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZX6R P7F

From pit to post

Post by wonderpupp »

Well, this is going to be a fun little project for me now.

I bought Wakka in January 2001, and joined this forum soon after. Put new bits and bobs on it when I needed, Dyno'd at 65bhp at the rear wheel, which was nice :)

In November 2005 I made the jump to a ZX636, but kept the ZXR400, as I couldn't bear to see it go.
But I neglected it. I let my brother use it. then the head gasket went, and I didn't fix it straight away.

It sat in my brother's garden from about March 2006 to Feb 2007. SORNd, no MOT, no love, no polish.
I moved it to my garage at my Ex's house from there, where it has been since, not sure what kind of state it's in.

Tomorrow, I'm using my Dad's van, and I'll be collecting Wakka to bring him back to my new house, where I will begin the process of a complete strip, rebuild and make it mint and new. I shall endeavour to take photos as I go. This is my first rebuild project, as I normally just pay for someone else to fix my toys. Now I have an '07 ZX6R and an '09 ER6N, since selling the CRM250, there's nothing left to tinker with but the 400. and I have a lot of time and space to rebuild this bike to BETTER than it's former glory.

But before I start: I need a Left and fairing bracket , the one that holds the fairing blot under the sidestand...

Former Glory: (Remember those Blue tyres, anyone? He he)

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: From pit to post

Post by masterofinsanity »

i am soo looking forward to seeing this rebuild!! remember this pups? http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/v2/#bn- ... 77696/1545

and yes we remember you sponsoring coloured tyres was it Tomohawks?? :smt017
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
wonderpupp
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by wonderpupp »

yeah, tomohawk, who don't make the coloured tyres anymore, cos I phoned them up to get some silver tyres for my ER6N, but no joy...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Biggest advice i can give when doing a rebuild is plan it, bag everything up and label it, label the wiring too such as connectors, take pictures (lots of them) and take your time.

And most of all, just enjoy the build process as things come together and the bike slowly takes shape.

Have fun and look forward to seeing it progress :)
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed rebulding mine! (well, there were some bad bits) But looking back now, it was a top experience.

As rob said, bag, label, take pics, write things down. I remember thinking 'oh, I'll remember that goes like that' Nu Uh! Not a chance! Especially take pictures of how the wires feed through the frame, things such as accel and decel cable!

I look forward to seeing your build thread! Gonna do us a head gasket thread aswel?
One life, Live it!
wonderpupp
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by wonderpupp »

Went to My Ex's yesterday to recover Wakka from his garage, I had my brother set up to meet me there with a van at 10am, I had booked a day off work to do this. I got there nice and early to haul the bike out, (after making sure he had gone to work) - realised how far I had already got with the strip down!! I boxed up the spares (all still nicely labelled with masking tape, yay)

after 2 hours, I had got the bike rolled out the garage, figured what is ine in there and what is his Got it all ready, It got to 11am, no Bro & van. 12 o'clock, still nothing. So I locked up the garage and went home, got my car, came back to get some bits and bobs. Couple of texts from my brother to say he's having a nightmare day. I took that as a sign he wont make it.

Bum.

so I drove home with a car full of panels, radiator, spare engine, and whatever else would fit. Then the exhaust back box fell off my car. It was blowing and I had gungummed / wrapped it back up, but it went. Sounded like a proper chav car. Ha ha.

Here's some pics though, to keep the appetite whetted.

It's in there somewhere,,,

a Naked 400, anyone?

Found 3 left side panels, and 1 right hand side panel..??

Getting ideas now - spare Ninja seat unit, anyone? ...
Tom1528
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by Tom1528 »

the tail looks rough asss :smt009
"If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is - If your not sure how it works, take it apart and find out - If it don't work when you put it back together.......look in the manual"
Scott221
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by Scott221 »

Wow! That bike has certainly seen better days!!!!
One life, Live it!