H1 Restoration Project

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

jonb_5
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

H1 Restoration Project

Post by jonb_5 »

Hi All.

As promised in the newbie section a project thread for my new ZXR 400 H1 which I picked up today from Bristol. I left at 5.30 am and have just taken some pictures. I am pretty impressed to be honest.

After completing a full restoration on a Mini City, (pics below) I needed something else to spend my time doing!

The initial plan is to give it a complete service as well as new tyres and brake overhaul including a caliper rebuild and a carb rebuild. I will then use it as a track weapon for the summer.

Then I am going to complete a full rebuild on it including powdercoating the frame and wheels, painting the fairings, new seat fairing, something like a CBR 600 RR and an underseat exhaust, I also have a G model ninja rear suspension unit which will be going in.

Hope you like the pictures:

I am off to Turkey now for a week so progress to follow after that!!

Cheers

Jon
Last edited by jonb_5 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonb_5

Re: H1 Restoration Project

Post by jonb_5 »

Quick update:

I have started to strip the bike down. The major work being removing the brake calipers which took a lot longer than expected due to pretty much every bolt being seized in place, some required drilling out. Pics to follow:

I also noticed the tank has had some filler in it at some point so going to need to replace this aswell.

Next is to get the wheels removed and painted and back on again to re fit the calipers.

I also tried to start the bike this morning. It was turning over fine with a new battery but not starting. With a bit of fiddling I found the fuel hose was disconnected, i connected this up and turned the fuel tap to on but it starting leaking from the front of the tap, think I need to change the seals, anyone any idea where to get these?

Thanks

Jon
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Im sure you cant get the seals seperate from kawasaki, however a new genuine tap is less than 15 quid iirc.
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

I have done a bit more work on the bike this weekend.

Have completely refurbed the brakes which are ready to go back on. Couple of pics:

I have also bought a gsxr 600 rear seat fairing which is going to be going on and a spare set of H1 wheels with four good tyres for £5.50 which I'm well chuffed with.

Hopefully get a nose cone and front fender at some point, if anyone has this?

The plan is to cut the rear seat subframe back as shown in the picture below.

I also want to get a H2 swing arm and get rid of the torque bar making a bracket to mount the rear caliper on, so need a H2 swing arm as well.

Cheers

Jon
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

good idea with the h2 swingarm, lots lighter too. You will need the H2 rear wheel tho, or the h2 spindle and spacers, and the rear brake hanger i think.
I cut my subframe there, then cut off the rear section that sticks up, stuck that to the back of the new cutdown subframe. I get a good fixing with my rearend on that, and it also lifts the seat height up a bit.

when cutting it down tho, make sure you leave the mounting for your exhaust hanger!
good luck with it mate!
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

My seat unit in need of filler and paint but here goes:

Its a gsxr-600 rear seat, bought from ebay for 99p which i have cut and bonded to the front of my original seat fairing, looks good and the lines with the bike look really good.

I have also bought a pair of H2 wheels with 2 sets of tyres from ebay for £5.50, an absolute bargain.

I need to find a H2 swing arm now, seems to be proving difficult.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Jon
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

looking forward to seeing that seat unit evolve!!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
WelshD1K
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by WelshD1K »

hey mate got a spare nosecone heew with soem damage (snaped off above the mirror ) but im sure you could fix it lookign at ut handt work ill get some pictures
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

Seat is almost finished now, filler is on and need a last layer of bondo to smooth it out.

My fuel tank just arrived in the post so will fire the bike up this weekend and if it runs fine i will completely strip it down to get everything powdercoated.

Few pics of the seat.

Cheers

Jon
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

that is bloody impressive!! well done.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

Hi

Thought i'd best crack on a bit as Im going away for a week on saturday so here it is, got home tonight from work and pretty much stipped the bike.

Couple bits to do but everything is almost ready for powdercoating now.

Heres some pictures:

List of jobs to do, buy and test fit swing arm, finish seat, buy fairing and front fender, modify subframe to fit zx6r shock.

Cheers

Jon
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

Hi

Not much updates recently but have picked up the painted frame, swing arm and seat subframe from the powder coaters and they look brilliant.

I have started to put some bits back together but still have a lot of painting to do.

The wheels and yokes are being powdercoated as we speak.

As i couldnt find a H2 swingarm i am just using the H1 one that I had.

Cheers

Jon

Zxr-Ali
My Bike: Aprilia rs 125

Post by Zxr-Ali »

Looks good, cant wait to see more progress, good job!
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

Bit more progress today:

I took pretty much every metal part to work, washed them in the parafin tank and shot blasted them.

Everything cleaned up really nice so I hung it up and gave everything a fresh coat of paint.

Let me know what you think!!

Cheers

Jon
jonb_5

Post by jonb_5 »

Hi

Have now mounted rearsets and read shock, need ot make up a spacer to mount the shock in the right place, then I can remove it to fit the swingarm - just need some new bearing for that.

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Jon