ZXR400 L3 Motor Build (Bristol)

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

jackdim
My Bike: yz490

ZXR400 L3 Motor Build (Bristol)

Post by jackdim »

Bought it for £450, got a load of t&t and service history but a non runner due to undiagnosed motor problems so stripped motor and found this:

Luckily the valve didn't drop right in and act as a centre punch for the bore so just a rehone and machining to remove head damage was in order. Also decided whilst I was at it I want to give the top end completely fresh components with new pistons/rings/collets/stem seals etc all around. Here's what's its going to cost in parts:

Done countless 2t's motor builds but this is my first 4t build, looking forward to the piston's arriving from Japan and getting on with it. Once done I doubt it would've worked out much cheaper than buying a running zxr400 l3 but I'm happy to use this bike as opportunity to learn about 4t's. Also I'll be happy in the knowledge that the motor will be good for a long while, ready for my jaunt to isle of wight for august bank holiday :grin: .

Just wondered as this L3 is an import will it be restricted just via the speedometer? Or by any other means?

Ta,
Jack

P.S. Any bristolian/surrounding area members?
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: ZXR400 L3 Motor Build (Bristol)

Post by CaNsA »

:excited

The guys at Cradley will let you chat to the mechanics if you ask nicely.
Also, Chris and the guys at DynoPro (Runcorn) are total guru's when it comes to squeezing every last hoof out of a zxr400.

http://www.dynopro-racing.co.uk/index.html

They post on here using the name Dynopro, you would have never of guessed that in a million years :pmsl
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

some imports have restricted cdi's might want to check what sticker and letter is on your cdi.im sure there is a thread about all the different types on here somewhere.
jackdim

Post by jackdim »

My CDI, is it a restricted one?

cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Yeah thats a restricted one

The speedo tells it when you are doing 110 mph and thats yer lot

Easy to undo I'm sure someone will post the link to the details of how to do it......................it can be done in two or three different ways
jackdim

Post by jackdim »

I've read about how to derestrict the speedo but just wondered if I'd also need to swap my CDI for a UK spec one in order to fully derestrict it?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

No the CDI only reacts to the message from the speedo so if the CDI doesn't get the message then the bike will rev all the way to the red line regardless of what speed you are doing.

If you really want the extra expense you can just fit a different/UKspec CDI................ but why?.............. theres no gain and more expense

You can also just remove the speedo but you need to keep the little electronics bit plugged in or the CDI will see that the speedo is missing and your rev limnit will be 10K if menory serves me right.

Just open up the speedo and bend the little tab out of the way easy peasy
jackdim

Post by jackdim »

cargo wrote:No the CDI only reacts to the message from the speedo so if the CDI doesn't get the message then the bike will rev all the way to the red line regardless of what speed you are doing.

If you really want the extra expense you can just fit a different/UKspec CDI................ but why?.............. theres no gain and more expense

You can also just remove the speedo but you need to keep the little electronics bit plugged in or the CDI will see that the speedo is missing and your rev limnit will be 10K if menory serves me right.

Just open up the speedo and bend the little tab out of the way easy peasy
Ah! Excellent news that, will derestrict the speedo later on then. Dead happy with that me :excited
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

This'll give you a clearer idea of what your doing :)

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/revlimiter.html
bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Post by bengone1 »

I thought you could just shunt a 10K resistor in line with the pink wire off the CDI and the speedo limiter was canceled? It seems like a lot of work to pry the speedo apart vs a few minutes with a soldering iron. Am I missing something?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

As cargo said theres a number of ways to do it, one isprising the tab out, the other is with the resistor. All upto you wich you wanna do :)
bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Post by bengone1 »

Whew! I wasn't confused. I will be going for the resistor. Disassembling the speedo and then crimping it back together seems like a pain.
jackdim

Post by jackdim »

RedexRobB wrote:As cargo said theres a number of ways to do it, one isprising the tab out, the other is with the resistor. All upto you wich you wanna do :)
Ah nice one! Resistor it is for me as well then.