is it worth polishing and porting my zxr 400 L1

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

stevie hyper
My Bike: zxr 400 l1

is it worth polishing and porting my zxr 400 L1

Post by stevie hyper »

my brother has a zxr 400 L1 1991 the head gasket went so he went and got a 1996 engine but did the same to that so he has two engines and wants to build one out of the two would he gain much in having it polished and ported and skimmed would he need a dyno jet kit if he did and can the cams be fine tune on the sprockits any help would be great
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: is it worth polishing and porting my zxr 400 L1

Post by zimm »

cam sprockets are fixed unless you are running SP cams, this limits how far you can skim/deck things before losing cam timing.

cleaning up the ports wont hurt if you know what you're doing, but will if you dont..

i've done a couple of heads, reckon im starting to get there but my bike's no 75bhp+ rocket ... yet :)

easiest thing to do is skip the base gasket on re-assembly, safely tightens the squish up a bit... and tbh, if its a road-bike and the head isnt warped thats really all i'd do
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Yes & No,

Removing just the casting marks will make for a smoother responce - you might gain a pony or two top end.

Unshrouding the valves certainly helps any engine tune state and you'll need to forget about fixed "jet kits" to get the benefit.

if you've two engines needing work then personally I would go the full hilt on one, I've got 5 working motors and one of them is getting laid into !

1 motor 1 chance then no - go full free flowing pipe, carb's and rolling road to get the most.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

as i am doing head gasket and cam chain on my bike while i have the head off i am cleaning all the valves and ports up, cleaning up casting marks, re-lapping valves etc.
when you say skip base gasket do you just take it out clean up the surfaces and bolt it back together or do you have to you sealant or something?
Fatspanner #44
My Bike: Triumph Daytona 675

Post by Fatspanner #44 »

Use sealant.