Micron stainless full system

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

hardhat_harry

Micron stainless full system

Post by hardhat_harry »

Hi,

I've got my hands on a full stainless micron system (its marked as road legal but I dont think it is as it has no middle baffle).

I was going to put it on my track bike but a mate of mine says they the Micron system is heavy and doesnt deliver any more power than standard (he used to race ZXR's) and I should mod the standard to remove the baffle from the link pipe (or fit an R1 link pipe) and fit a race can, I have heard others claiming up to 10hp more with the Micron system.

Anyone know which way to go with this? :smt017
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Micron stainless full system

Post by jake »

i dont think there that heavy, well not compared to the standard lead one anyhow.
Ive heard the pipework as it come, with the baffled link pipe, are not all that good, but without the baffled link pipe they are not all that bad.
Had one on a h1, with slight tuned sp engine, and it went ok. I know of a zxr forgotten era bike(h1), with a micron delta system on thats putting out 80bhp, so they can work.
what i dont like a bout them is lack of clearance, that link pipe hits the deck far to easy for my liking
hardhat_harry

Post by hardhat_harry »

Yes there are scrapes on the link pipe and the can, not big enough to be an off but due to grounding out.

The plan was to fit the system get a K&N and alter the jetting to suit.

So at least there is a weight saving to be made with the can.

Was going to eBay it if there wasn't any gains to be made
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

id give it a go dude, if your leaving engine fairly standard, its going to be alot better than the standard one, even a modded standard imo.
Im not sure on the L airbox, but if it was me id just take yr filter out, and leave the thin gauze in there, do they look like the H filter in the L?
then leave standard needles in, and go 100 mains, with air corrector jets blocked.
just a baseline setup tho, every bikes gonna be a bit different

thats basically all i have in mine at the mo, standard engine, H airbox with no filter, dynojet needles on full length( not wildly different fueling from standard) 102 mains ( slightly rich) and a ti beet. Thats 63hp on a dynopro, so 68ish on a dynojet id guess.
I reckon your setup will give you there or thereabouts with the right fueling. Fast enuf, just elbows out and block when coming onto the straights :smt002
hardhat_harry

Post by hardhat_harry »

Cool I'll go with that.....

When I got my bike it has all the holes drilled for lock wiring and four holes on the screen which I found out later was for an airbubble which they fit to bikes doing the TT and irish racing so it looks like its got some history prob why it seems to be running rich (popping like mad when throttling off above 10k revs) and reading 62bhp as standard.

so 100 or 102 on the jets?
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

well, id say 100.
but have a looksie whats in there already, has the engine got the base gasket in? Aye, mine wizz pops bangs and flames off the throttle, and my fueling is pretty good to.

the keihin jets are not the same size as dynojets tho, but i cant remember which way is which. think there is 2 difference between em, so not a massive difference anyhow.

this place sells em
http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/catalog ... 8_423.html
aint bought nothing from em yet, so aint sure of the service
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

Micron system is way lighter than a modified (replaced link pipe) stock system and can be modified in the same way, so preferable to an OE exhaust, beet/mhp is best though.. but £££££££

scorpion systems however are a bit poo, and when i fitted one to an L that had been setup with a micron system it lost power and felt strangled. Sounded good though.

L airbox is totally different to the H and the flow characteristics are different as-well as the total flow.. so required jetting differs (also H and L cams differ)

L KnN is not really any better than clean OE (and needs snorkel removing or it flows worse!!)

full micron (race) + KnN (snorkel removed) + #105 keihin jets without air-corrector's blocked is about right for a stock engine.. with blocked correctors, probably #102

this is the setup from my old L4. (note this was with dynojet needles fitted, and i cant remember what clip position was used, but that only really affects midrange)

my H1 has #102 keihin main jets, OE air-filter, skimmed head, skimmed block, no base gasket, advanced ignition, full micron system, the jetting is lean at the top, but its already faster :)

dynojet jets flow more than keihin so a #102 keihin is a #100 dynojet .. ish ..

as a complete baseline, my L4 was dynoed when completely stock and was fitted with 2 x #90 and 2 x #88 dynojet jets (inner two cylinders get bigger jets)