Rev Limiter

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Carter
My Bike: Ducati 1098s, zxr 400 H1

Rev Limiter

Post by Carter »

i know that you can over ride the rev limiter in the speedo but does it have any consequence on the running if you remove it all together? i don't have to do anything else other than unplug it do i?
Life is like a grind stone; it'll grind you down or polish you up, depending on what you're made of.
tk400
My Bike: ZXR400 , ZXR950

Re: Rev Limiter

Post by tk400 »

all this has been answered many times before in many threads.

check out "SPEEDO CLOCKS" thread.

you can not just disconnect it. you need to insert a resistor. If you need I can post out what you need for 5 pounds or can modify your CDI internally to derestrict it. The cheapest alternative is to do it yourself, just get a 10 K ohm resistor of 1 watt rating and pull it to gnd. cheers

regards TK400
Carter
My Bike: Ducati 1098s, zxr 400 H1

Post by Carter »

tk400 wrote:just get a 10 K ohm resistor of 1 watt rating and pull it to gnd. cheers
tk, you out there sent ya a message.....how important is the 1 watt bit? can only get 0.6 0r 2. cheers
Life is like a grind stone; it'll grind you down or polish you up, depending on what you're made of.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

the 0.6watt will probably be fine as your not pulling mega amounts of current, but 2 watt will do that job no problem. All it means is how much current you can pull through for a given voltage, VxI = P
tk400

Post by tk400 »

Sorry for the delay. yeah 0.6 watt would be fine for the 10K ohm. But 1 watt minimum for the 100 ohm ignition switch by pass. I only suggested the 1 watt for the 10K ohm as its more sturdy and easier to reliably graft into the harness. cheers

regards TK400
patlangan
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by patlangan »

how high can the revs go if there is no limiter,
i dont quite understand,you plug out the speedo and insert something else?is this correct ?
or else modify the cdi unit,which will have the same effect.?
please help
tk400

Post by tk400 »

the speedo has an trip circuit that cuts in at 180Kph due to japanese law. So that people just could not disable it by removing the plug, they made it restrict RPM if unplugged hence one way or the other you were not going to exceed 180. However due to the simplicity of the circuit it is easily satisfied using a resistor as discussed above.
Once this is done the standard rev limit applies which depends on the CDI you have. As for modifying the CDI this is just internally bypassing the external speedo circuit. I can do this while doing other work on the CDI. cheers.

regards Tk400
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Post by tng21 »

is this something just for top end restriction. My H1 revs lovely up to 15k so presume its been de-restricted as ive heard importsd only go to 10k.

But, just reading the bit about the 180kph, mine seems to cut back a bit when i get to that speed, just thought it was as fast as it can go??

DO i do this to raise my top end at all?
WelshD1K
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by WelshD1K »

tng21 wrote:is this something just for top end restriction. My H1 revs lovely up to 15k so presume its been de-restricted as ive heard importsd only go to 10k.

But, just reading the bit about the 180kph, mine seems to cut back a bit when i get to that speed, just thought it was as fast as it can go??

DO i do this to raise my top end at all?

no the rev limiter is there if you remove the cable that comes out of the rear fo the clocks. all imports are restricted to 180kmph , easiset fix is just get a mph converter that goes on the cable ;)