GP/reverse shift pattern

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

The_Doctor
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

GP/reverse shift pattern

Post by The_Doctor »

Ok, not sure if this is the right section to post this - its more modification than tuning.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried or managed to convert the standard shift pattern of their ZXR400 to GP/reverse shift? I tried searching but couldnt find anything. If so, how is it done on this bike?... i've read some bikes can be changed by just turning the gear linkage upsidedown (or something like that!), and other bikes require extra parts and spacers etc. I know a lot of people say dont bother, its only for racing blahblahblah.. but i just want to try it and see how it feels.
If anyone knows anything about this, i'd love to hear.
Cheers guys.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: GP/reverse shift pattern

Post by RedexRobB »

It is as simple as rotating the gear shift 180 on the splined shaft, only thing is i dont know where thats puts the gear lever height. You can adjust it using the adjuster rod.

Try it and let us know how you get on.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

aye, just turn it upside down, there should be plenty of adjustment still.
I still use road shift on the track so cant comment, but i can imagine it would be faster getting on the gas when your on its left ear, and also maybee easier to know which gear your in when you hammer down into a tight corner
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

tried it hated it went back to road styleeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Only found one corner where it causes me a problem being road styleee
The_Doctor
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by The_Doctor »

Ok, cheers everyone. Will try it tomorrow when i get home and see how i get on - though i can imagine downshifting the wrong way in particular will take some getting used to...
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I had to do it when I started racing my RS250, just kept getting my foot jammed under the lever, being a 2 stroke you to have the correct gear, probably would get away with a standard shift on a 4 stroke due to wider powwr band. I found it immediately so much easier. Quick downshifts are far less important than quick up shifts :smt003 :smt002