K&N filter and dynojet kit problems

So they dont get muddled and lost in the directory, please post your tuning questions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tadpole

K&N filter and dynojet kit problems

Post by Tadpole »

when fitting the K&N filter should you take out the snorkel in the airbox? or leave it in?... I've put a quill end can on, dynojet kit and K&N filter.. goes like stink in gears 1-4 but when in 5th & 6th at about 12,ooo rpm it won't pull through. could this be because the snorkel has been removed?
Tadpole

Re: K&N filter and dynojet kit problems

Post by Tadpole »

we've had a play around since.. re-balanced the carbs, adjusted the mixture screws and lowered the needles one notch from what dynojet recommend.. As the re-dyno run showed the bike to be running rich up to about 10,000 rpm

We're contemplating cutting the snorkel back a bit to allow that little bit more airflow.. but canot take it out completely as we feel the air flow above 100mph must be pressurising the airbox too much and means the bike won't pull through.

i'd be interested to know from any of you that have tried a few tweeks (k&n, dynojet and end can improvements) and what troubles you may have had, or quick wins..

The bike sounds great by the way... Just it runs a bit rough through the rev range until it's fully on song

I think it's a bit more responsive in the mid range - but on the dyno runs i've only gained from 60.15 to 62.8 hp. the bike was spot on fueling wise before i started,and now it's not as smooth. To be honest i wish i'd never started messing around, butnow the dynojet's in it's too late so we're trying to make the best of things.
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

I had same sort of problems with mine. Have you drilled the slides out with the drill bit provided? Mine was setup with a K&N aswell but my local dyno man said it will run better with the OEM Kawasaki 1.

My setup was:

E-clip on top notch with BOTH washers on top.
Mixtures at 3 turns out
Slides drilled
92 Main jets.
Snorkel completely in

That was producing exactly 62bhp.

You'll have post a picture of the top of the snorkel as kawasaki decided to change the inlet size a tad in the later years. So some snorkels are bigger some smaller.

Regards

Rich

Hope this helps
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Cheers for that..

how much time did you spend trying things before it worked itself out?

I take it you have a race can on yours as well then.

We've lowered the needles to the lowest setting but we only placed one washer on top of the needles as not really any space left on the dynojet needles.. it kept falling off.. unless it's worth the 2nd one.
the mixture screws about 2 turns out and carb's balanced..
we've kept with the 96 main jets

did you try the K&N 1st or did you keep the standard filter in? I take it the snorkel stayed in as well then? or did you experiment like i've done, taken it out and had the same problems.. it's around 110mph it started having problems but at lower speeds it sounded better and appeared more powerful..

I'm curious to know from anyone else who's tinkered and found an answer...
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Tadpole wrote:Cheers for that..

how much time did you spend trying things before it worked itself out?

I take it you have a race can on yours as well then.

We've lowered the needles to the lowest setting but we only placed one washer on top of the needles as not really any space left on the dynojet needles.. it kept falling off.. unless it's worth the 2nd one.
the mixture screws about 2 turns out and carb's balanced..
we've kept with the 96 main jets

did you try the K&N 1st or did you keep the standard filter in? I take it the snorkel stayed in as well then? or did you experiment like i've done, taken it out and had the same problems.. it's around 110mph it started having problems but at lower speeds it sounded better and appeared more powerful..

I'm curious to know from anyone else who's tinkered and found an answer...
Hi,

Is the bike restricted in any way? KM speedo? yellow CDI unit?

Try your best to put the 2nd washer on, it was very fidderly for me but I got them all on. It makes alot of difference, trust me.

Regards

RIch
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Really.. getting them on will be fun eh!

Seriously tho can it make much diff? Willit help smooth out the midrange?

See my other links as all offers of help appreciated
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

sorry Rich... No the bike isn't restricted - it's in standard form could get 135 showing on the speedo -on a long straight road,wind behind and under the bubble...

It'sjust me being greedy and wanting that little bit more
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by MillaMeter »

Tadpole wrote:sorry Rich... No the bike isn't restricted - it's in standard form could get 135 showing on the speedo -on a long straight road,wind behind and under the bubble...

It'sjust me being greedy and wanting that little bit more
Hi,

No worries, but seriously them tiny washers will lower the needles very slightly and will crispen up the midrange and even make the bike more responsive.

Any chance you can explain it detail what the bike does when it reaches 110? does it only do it in 6th gear? does it do it in neutral?

Regards

Rich
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Hi Mila

He's a piece from the same query from the Having Problems section where i tried explaining to Zimm what's been happening

have a look through there to see what else is being suggested - here's a summary of what it was doing

"to get this right - with the #96 jets in and snorkel out my bike pulled like crazy accelerating thru the gears say 2-4 2-5 up till about 105 110 mph and pulled right thru the rev range and into the red... However when doing about 110 say in 5th or 6th the bike just wouldn't want to pull through...

We put the snorkel back in and like my friend who fitted the dynojet kit suggested we lost some of that raw power in the lower gears but the restriction at the top end dissapeared and it does pull through it.. He's of the opinion that if we take say the bottom third off, just above where the snorkel restricts down to two chambers we may find a compramise?

We have had it dyno'd and did query the snorkel idea with them. Problem is they cannot recreate anywhere near the air blast you get at high speeds (as if a type of ram air affect is created) to check the fuelling at the top end.they can only create about 60mph wind max, which doesn't help.

On the dyno it was running rich all below 10,000rpm - so we lowered the needle one notch to try and smooth out the mid range.. The dyno showed fuelling to be ok above 10k but again cannot recreate the air blast effect...

others have suggested putting the standrd filter back in may cure it... But surely a K&N working properly would be better?
Question now is did you have very similar problems to me & is sodid the fitting of 102 main jets cure the problem and make the bike go better through the whole rev range and show it's merits on a dyno run or track

Had the bike apart few times now so trying not to have to fiddle too much more unless we're confident its going to work.

Cheers