Loobman Chainoiler: The Fitting

Moderator: Moderators

Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Loobman Chainoiler: The Fitting

Post by Jamz »

Right, now we've all got the Loobman's, who's going to do the fitting?

I opened mine last night to be greeted by what looks like an Airfix kit of a brewery. shocking OK, so it was getting too dark to really see what I was doing, so I just spent a few mins thinking about how to locate it, rather than assembling it.

It looks to me like the best bet for my 9r (and I think it'll be the same on the 400) will be either on the back of the pillion footpeg, or the best seems to be on the exposed bit of the subframe.

I shall be intending to take lots of pics when I fit it, and it'd be helpful if you lot could, too!

A couple of problems I might have are that not having a chain gaurd might scupper my tube routing, and as I'm not planning on keeping this bike for much longer, if any part of the fitment looks too permanent I'm going to leave it until I have a new bike...
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Loobman Chainoiler: The Fitting

Post by masterofinsanity »

everyone should have theirs by end of week.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zxr_oli
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Daytona 675

Post by zxr_oli »

Think i'm going to be in for a challenge finding a place on the 675 without it being in you face, seeing as the rear is so bare lol.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

masterofinsanity wrote:everyone should have theirs by end of week.
"For Sure" :smt002

Hope you "mickey moused" the postal/customs slip :smt003

You'll get plenty photo's from me :smt005
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

I'll do another walkthrough if I can be bothered when I get it.
Vard.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

Fitted mine yesterday onto the ZRX400.

Total time: under an hour

OK, like most opened the box and went - Oh fook!! Thankfully I used to do a lot of model building so it didn't get thrusted into the back of the cupboard for a rainy day lol

The written instructions burst my head within about 5 mins of reading ( I generally find if something has illustrations that's what i use).

1st Tip:

Assemble the feed head in the comfort of your home - that way you wont loose any of the small parts.

I done the teacup trick with the cable tie then assembled all the parts - pretty straight forward just looking at the pic's

Ensure you have the head the right way up (as pictured)

Delivery tube has a larger gauge nylon tube placed onto it and this is then inserted into the delivery chamber tube. I later read that they recommend you lube these parts for easy assembly but i didn't and had no problem fitting.

The feed tube coming out of the bottle is also placed into the delivery chamber tube and held in place with the crimp washer supplied, again no great problem fitting ( I fed the feed tube through the washer 1st then placed the tube into the delivery chamber and sqeezed the delivery chamber tube to allow the crimp washer to fit on.

Delivery chamber assembled

I didn't bother bending the wire cradle until I was outside with it and saw what I needed to do for fitting onto my arm.
It still didn't make it any easier :smt011

I've used Blue ties here but will replace with some chrome ones later, ties on the delivery tube are loose fit.

Here is the delivery head pointing downward with the arms onto either side of the sprocket.

Top Tip: Ensure you get the centering of the head in align with the sprocket as i am having problems with the outer arm coming off :smt009 I also think i have kept the head to far away from the sprocket and if it was positioned closer this may not be such a critical problem.

I positioned the bottle for ;
a) easy filling
b) short as possible delivery tube
I was thinking of the frame rail nearer the chain guard but thought my own or passenger foot could cause problems and as i discovered where i did put it is ideal as:
c) able to lube chain on the move

This time I have used 10W30 oil but will be going for something a bit thicker as it does pour very easily.
I also wont be lubing the chain stationary as you just end up with a pool of oil under your sprocket on the ground.

On the move I can easily give the bottle a gentle squeeze and when stopped up i can confirm that the complete chain was wet :smt001

So every day use it will get a squirt when I head off and on a run maybe every 100 miles or so. If I get caught in rain I can also decide how often I want to top it up :smt004

Just now I am certainly happy with it and as soon as i resolve the head alignment / delivery arm problem i will be delighted with it :smt003

RECOMMENDED
Last edited by Mori Man on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

great stuff, nice pics and neatly done, now lets see everyone elses efforts and comments. :gamer
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

still the only one with this fitted shocking

Well after moving the feed head a "baw hair" here then there I've managed to stop the arm coming off the sprocket :smt003

Haven't squeezed the bottle for three blasts and the chain is still well wet - also sounds a lot quieter too :smt001

Mess is certainly more than chain lube so will need to get into the habit of washing around the area a bit more often winks

All in all, very happy with it and can see me ordering another one for the ZXR but want to see how YOU have all mounted it up 1st :smt064
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i think they are all too embarrassed to put theirs up mate, you've shown em up! :pmsl
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Great pics and guide - thanks for that Mori Man! goodpost

Doubt I'll bother fitting mine until I get a new bike...
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja