The 2nd Rebirth.

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

The 2nd Rebirth.

Post by RedexRobB »

So, he we go, again! :smt002

After seeing Ryans bike a few weeks back, hearing it run, and seeing the work he had done, i couldnt help leaving with the feeling that I really need to get my ZXR back on the road again. I like my versys, i like it alot. Damn near quick enough for me and is such a laugh considering the bike that it is, its hard to believe the enjoyment i get out of it. But seeing Ryans bike has sparked something off inside, i need to swing my leg over that single seat and then wring seven shades out of it.

The last memories of my ZXR were well over a year ago now, so has been sat in the garden, under cover, unstarted and unloved for just as long. The memory that sticks the most was when i took it out for the last time. Just a quick blat up the A14 and through a couple of small villages on the way, back on the A14 and off the slip road to where i live, and it was that slip road that just made it memorable. Newly tarmac'ed, and tightening up half way round. I slung the bike in, knee down, roll off slowly for the tighter bit, tip it a bit more and out the corner, no fuss, no drama, just fun. It just couldnt be beaten.

So i spent all of half hour yesterday checking the fuel hoses were connected and tight, filled up the empty tank with a couple of litres and gave the button a push. As id run the tank and carbs dry they would take a while to fill up but the battery went dead before it fired. Knowing that these are a pain in the butt to start on a weak battery, i put it on charge for the afternoon and popped out. I guess expecting the battery to get it running after a year of no activity was a bit much. Got back and popped the battery in, choke on and pushed the button. Chikachikachikachika VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, choke off at this point as it was still revving at 6K, switch off and the choke was stuck on, no problem just slipped the slider back and gave it another go. Fired it up and gave it a touch of choke to help it along, beautiful!

So having got it running i gave the bike a good look over, the news is not good but there are some good points. When i got the bike on the road after being sat in a shed for 3 years while at uni, it was mint, but went down hill from there on. At the time, i moved to ipswich and lodged at a house. Unfortunately they didnt have the luxury of a garage or shed, so had been exposed to everything the weather threw at it. Also being my only transport it got used through two winters and with my neglect of keeping it clean, the elements had taken it toll after 18 months. A further year later im in my own place but once again no garage so its laid under the cover. I also managed to drop in the snow a few years back but the crash bung saved an awful lot as the only issue i had was the panel had split by the mount ever so slightly. As you can see there is a fair amount of corrosion over the bike, the tank has rusted as id only primered the tank. The frame needs re coating as the frame protectors (which iv sold) had marked the frame. Good points are that most of the metal bits i had powdercoated originally, have stood the test of time and simply need a clean, the wheels are still looking like new and just need cleaning.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/RobB/93 ... 440853&s=0
http://www.bikepics.com/members/RobB/93 ... 198663&s=0

So now onto the rebuild. A bit of history here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3023 and more pics of this on my bikepics page http://www.bikepics.com/members/RobB/93zxr400/

The plan:
-sort some storage, i have a tiny little wooden shed which is just about staying manageable with what ive got in it, so no room for ZXR parts.
-to keep with what ive got colour wise, so gold wheels and black and white bodywork it is. they will be off to the sprayers at some point to be properly done. Possibly a new screen as the one i have has some strange cracks in it.
-clean/re powdercoat anything as necessary in gloss black. Temped by the satin finish but once its scratched or polished off, thats it, it doesnt match the rest.
-stainless steel bolts through out/ where i havent already.
-forks straightened, the right hand seal has blown and has done so regularly in the 18 months i was riding it so theres an issue there and im sure it needs straightening.
-suspension, rear shock replaced with a maxton shock or the like. Front forks to be resprung and serviced. This time im looking to enhance the handling, not just the looks.
-front and rear disks. Fronts are warped although i think the rear is good i may change it anyway.
-brakes to be replaced, i prefer the look of newer ZZR calipers so will be on the lookout for a pair plus new lines as the braided set have gone rusty under the PVC sheath, maybe a warranty job from HEL?
-engine service, clearances 'should' be ok as they were done about 6 months before it was laid up but checked none the less. New cam chain and tensioners, and probably the head gasket too. May have the head looked at and cleaned up, make sure the stem seals are good and have the valves lapped. Been tempted by a blueprint for some years too.
-Clean the loom up as its filthy and replace the reg/rec i recall the head light was flickering from bright to dim at random when last i rode it.

Time scale? Probably looking at a year and a half for this, so next summer is the target. Will be slow work in progress. Got one last debt to clear by this summer (hopefully), at which point the money becomes available. Biggest expenditures will probably the disks, suspension and paintjob.

The aim is to be taking this exact picture next year but looking a damn sight newer!

Tom mccrea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: H1zxr400&cbr600fw

Re: The 2nd Rebirth.

Post by Tom mccrea »

That sounds like quite the project! A bit like mine only i'm skint and dont know what im doing. I got my H1 running in the garage and a few runs up and down my street but would like somewhere to take it where i'm safe from the sherriffs dept. for an hour or so to make sure she keeps on going. Trying to find a big private car park or something similar (any of the northern ireland guys can help with ideas??)

I have started repairing some plastics, few cracks etc...considered plastic welding but have decided due to budget reasons to try fibreglass and filler with lots of wet and dry prior to paint myself in the garage. I was supposed to get into my garage tonight to do this however my mrs is making me drink beer instead.

Wheels are something else I want to look at but if i can make sure she is running well then cosmetics can be done in slowtime...

I look forward to seeing how yours progresses......with a certain amount of envy due to my mechanical retardedness
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Good descision rob.....................I can tell you that I will allways have a ZXR400...............been riding em 11 years now and it's still a blast.

even today when I was out on my 1100 I still would rather be on the 400.............I did a lap of next weekends road race on the 1100 and oh am I looking forward to hitting that circuit on the 400 with nothing coming the other way...................fun fun fun
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Will be interested to hear what you do with the rear shock. Replacing the OEM shock is on my list of jobs for next winter. It's only done 9000 miles but it's always been crap so I'm going to put something better on when I strip everything to regrease. I'm thinking Maxton / Ohlins / Showa / White Power....... Choices, choices..... :smt004
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Cost will play its part on the rear shock, so no idea at the moment what ill end up with.

I will always own a zxr too, I've invested too much time, money and emotional sentiment to let this one go.

Going to try and do at least one thing per weekend just so things keep moving.
Azazel
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by Azazel »

Those front indicators look ace. Are they from a 6R?
Hope it goes well :)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Rob you put soo much work into this the first time round, it will be good to see it shine as it should, keep us updated!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Certainly looking tired but no where near as bad as mine when I got it so you will have it looking mint again in no time :smt001

I still haven't finished my build shocking never got round to the Rad' or oil cooler and now the parts are at hand to build bike #2 :smt003

Paint should be your last to do otherwise it will pick up scratches from being moved around or taken on & off.

Engine work 1st so you can get it planted into a finished rolling chassis and after that all the small things you bolt on upto bodywork.

I keep one bike in an open bike shed but both have covers (breathable) over them , they get dusty with sitting but generally they stay in pretty good shape till the next time I give them a polish.

Oh for a garage :smt010

Got a feeling I might have a ZXR for ever more but soz, still not tempted with an L but I should really as I can build a F3 SP ( Wonder if Mick will get upset if I use his SP chassis :smt002 ) :smt017

MM! :smt001
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Little update, as been getting another itch for the ZXR. Unfortunately nothing much done since may, however got another couple of vids taken last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT9kbcgakBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfRwociJwhI

Not much problem starting it, put the battery on a slow overnight charge and started up after a few long presses of the button! Seems to be bogging when snapping the throttle right open but im guessing thats because i didnt drain the carbs out when i had it running back in May, revs fine when opened slowly though.

Been starting to write things down that i want to get done, they are now in a spreadsheet so they arent lost or forgotten. Also been trying to come up with a way that i can work on the bike without the use of a garage or shed; a privelidge i had when i lived with my mum. Ive come up with the idea of buying some board and constructing a box that lifts over the bike as in the piccie shown. This will help keep any weather off of it while the bike sits there, as i said in my original post this is probably going to take a while so leaving it under a cover while bits n pieces are added isnt really going to do the job. This also reduces the need for storage, as the majority of it will be in 'the box', the smaller bits can probably fit in the shed i have.

Im also going to get some steel together to make an engine stand, that should help with moving it around and most certainly to work on for changing the cam chain and any headwork i do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ryan1984
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L5

Post by ryan1984 »

how you getting on with this?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Hello matey,

Very little progress, simply put. Almost there with paying stuff off, just another month or two and then ill have the funds to make a start. Cleared a toad load out of my shed last weekend so i have a bit of space, also found my 32mm carbs which i thought i had lost.

Soon as money frees up its the 'bike box' next :smt001
ryan1984

Post by ryan1984 »

I have been using mine up until December now needs new Front discs as i brought some off here listed as l model but later found out they are 300 not 310 its off to the painter last week in march so should be completed by mid April.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

oo yeah i forgot yours needed painting!

Get some pics up when thats done, better still pop round and show it off!! :smt003
ryan1984

Post by ryan1984 »

i will do mate i was thinking about wrapping it in matt black but its just a thought what do you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwhosrm ... re=related
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Still no real progress, shifted the engine i had last week for some space and was ruthless in a clearout the weekend before and now i actually have space to open my toolbox in the shed as well as now being super organised i can get to the stuff if i need it! Picked up a couple of storage boxes too to put things in.

Planned a bit of time this weekend to get the cover off start stripping some non essentials and get a few bits in the boxes but time hasnt allowed as been doing overtime on saturdays for the last 3 months but the money will be worth it and very welcome! So next weekend if the weather is decent im actually going to get it running again and give it a wash. If all goes well ill get some bits off too and stored! Ive more or less abandonned the bike box idea for the moment, think i can manage with the space i have now.