Fork oil levels for racebike using standard forks

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

shaggy69
My Bike: ZXR 400 Racebike

Fork oil levels for racebike using standard forks

Post by shaggy69 »

Just a quick one to ask what you guys are using fork oil weight wise and how much air gap. Think manual says 5wt and 85mm air gap as standard. As with most forks for racing I reduced air gap to 80mm and used heavier oil (7.5wt), but this just doesn't seem to work on zxr. I have read various threads on other sites where guys seem to increase air gap (up to 120mm) and still use 5wt oil, but they also have aftèrmarket fork internals. The question is, has anyone on here found a reasonable air gap and oil weight for standard forks on their race bike? I weigh 13st btw lol

Cheers shaggy
Lucky Eddy
My Bike: zxr400L4

Re: Fork oil levels for racebike using standard forks

Post by Lucky Eddy »

13 Stone??? And the rest.... :pmsl

Good question for those of us not lucky enough to have a set of SP forks or conversions. Got a set I'm changing the seals on at the moment and have both 5w & 7.5w oils sitting waiting to go in. Let me know how you got on at EF this weekend?

Hammy #39
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Aye and that's me put on a stone from last season lol. Tried 7.5wt with 75mm gap last season and it was really harsh through the esses. Gone for 7.5wt and 90 air gap, ill let u know :)
mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

Post by mark400 »

10wt and 95mm air gap with the springs and tube in.

Most of the race zxr's run with this.
NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Just noticed this response cheers mark. 90 air gap and 7.5wt was massive improvement from last season...right until I lost the front lol