L Novice Rebuild

Here's a chance to show off your zxr400, so get them digital cameras out and show us some piccies.Rebuilding your bike or modding it then let everyone in on it.

Moderator: Moderators

rambo
My Bike: zxr 400

L Novice Rebuild

Post by rambo »

Short story of the bike. I purchased it off a ex partners brother who wanted the money to fund a drift car about two years ago, at that point I booked my test and wanted the bike to jump straight on when I was ready. Unforeseen circumstances I never made it to my test. I decided at that point id strip the bike and rebuild it so it was fresh and tight as after starting her once or twice it became difficult and spluttering. Then moved back to Essex from Norfolk and the bike and all her parts where left in my old garage. 6 months ago I went to pick the bike up with all the parts that were labelled and placed exactly where I knew they were had been moved into one cardboard box and a shelf!!!!!! :smt013

I packed everything and put the bike in the van and took her home where the story starts really. :smt024

First of all I decided to put her back together to see what was missing/broken and needed anew.

When I first got her

When she got back to mine.

putting together to see what was missing and broken.

And as soon as it looked like a bike again he couldn't resist

Now I have no idea about bikes and this is my first project and learning curve.

I will updating this with as much detail as I can and hopefully with everyones help I can get her back to life.

First thing I noticed was the front cog looks like its been turned around

While moving her in and out the garage while working on my type r she seemed way to heavy, put her on the stand and rear wheel was stiff.... rear brake was stuck on, so went to take it off and had all sorts of problems. I will explain with pictures as it will be easier. Loads of missing bolts and now needs repainting as fairings been scratched in storage.

So until tomorrow or sunday when I get the chance to start working on her she is sitting pretty.

Its ok I shared my JD with her

Will kick start tomorrow,

WARNING!!!!
This will be a big thread asking for advise and help that others in my position could learn from.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: L Novice Rebuild

Post by cargo »

New chain and sprockets needed
rambo

Post by rambo »

cargo wrote:New chain and sprockets needed
That's on the list to do.

Right, Rear brake was seized. Took me ages to get it off due to one bolt not coming out no matter what, I've hit it, heated it and used a g clamp on it and to no avail. I got the calliper off at last but has shredded the thread. Is it worth rebuilding the calliper and re threading it or just finding a new one?

Where calliper is threaded

Bolt that wont budge

Also faring got damaged while it was away from me in Norfolk so need to plastic weld it back together at some point.

So until the weather picks up not much more I can do :(

Advice on the brake would be appreciated.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

On that bolt that wont budge, try tightening it up a little just to break the bond that has occurred between the threads and try heating it up with a blow torch

If that doesnt work, drill the fucker out
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
rambo

Post by rambo »

CaNsA wrote:On that bolt that wont budge, try tightening it up a little just to break the bond that has occurred between the threads and try heating it up with a blow torch

If that doesnt work, drill the fucker out
Resulting to drilling it out at some point, or thinking it might be easier to buy another calliper bracket off ebay and take wheel off. So much swearing involved at this bike lol. Tried heating it, tried tightening it abit and wont budge.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

The bolt is not threaded into the bracket just hit it with a fooking big hammer.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

cargo wrote:The bolt is not threaded into the bracket just hit it with a fooking big hammer.
:smt023

5Kg Lug Hammer - essential tool No.1 :smt003
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
rambo

Post by rambo »

Mori Man wrote:
cargo wrote:The bolt is not threaded into the bracket just hit it with a fooking big hammer.
:smt023

5Kg Lug Hammer - essential tool No.1 :smt003
I know its not threaded there which is why I cant work out why it wont come out after everything I've thrown at it. Used the biggest mallet I've got to hit it. Was hoping for it to "shock" free buts its honestly like its welding in!!!!

Hopefully get an hour to go into the garage and give it another go at weekend.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I said hammer.................not mallet
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

From experience with removing the rear lower engine bolt (which is exposed to splash from the rear wheel, and salt in the winter) I reckon the only way to remove that bolt is to drill it out. It is held in place by a corrosive action between the steel and aluminium which has effectively welded them together. You could try drilling the head off and use a nut and plain washer (to avoid biting into the ally) on the threaded section to pull it out, but I reckon the thread will give way first. Use a sharp drill to make a pilot hole and then an appropriate size drill to remove the lot. Apply copious oil to the drill during the work to keep it cool and maintain the cutting edge. Don't give up - determine that it's coming out!
rambo

Post by rambo »

cargo wrote:I said hammer.................not mallet
Hammer failed. My idea was bigger and better......bolt still didn't give up
Ewetea wrote:From experience with removing the rear lower engine bolt (which is exposed to splash from the rear wheel, and salt in the winter) I reckon the only way to remove that bolt is to drill it out. It is held in place by a corrosive action between the steel and aluminium which has effectively welded them together. You could try drilling the head off and use a nut and plain washer (to avoid biting into the ally) on the threaded section to pull it out, but I reckon the thread will give way first. Use a sharp drill to make a pilot hole and then an appropriate size drill to remove the lot. Apply copious oil to the drill during the work to keep it cool and maintain the cutting edge. Don't give up - determine that it's coming out!
defiantly welded itself in there. Seems just as easy to get a new hanger at the moment. there's loads on fleabay. Main thing I cant find is rear calliper!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

gsxr1000 k1-k3 bolts on fine with 5 minutes of dremelling, but it does have a tendency to lock the rear tyre when you press on it, so you cant be as ham-fisted as with the older zxr400 rear brake.

you need this shape, with the two caliper mounting bolts as well as the torque arm bolt, you need the original zxr400 caliper mounting bracket, not the gsxr one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR10 ... 58aa459b43
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
rambo

Post by rambo »

banner001 wrote:gsxr1000 k1-k3 bolts on fine with 5 minutes of dremelling, but it does have a tendency to lock the rear tyre when you press on it, so you cant be as ham-fisted as with the older zxr400 rear brake.

you need this shape, with the two caliper mounting bolts as well as the torque arm bolt, you need the original zxr400 caliper mounting bracket, not the gsxr one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR10 ... 58aa459b43

Will go on an ebay hunt at some point, cheers buddy.

Progress stopped slightly while I put the type R back to normal to sell
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

paintjob looked mint!! be nice to restore it!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rambo

Post by rambo »

masterofinsanity wrote:paintjob looked mint!! be nice to restore it!
That's the idea.

Havent had a chance to do anything lately which is a pain in the back side. Will spend a day on it next weekend