Rear brake not effective

Moderator: Moderators

neil_1821
My Bike: ZXR 750 & ZXR 400

Rear brake not effective

Post by neil_1821 »

I'm having some issues with the rear brake on my ZXR 400 L that I purchased last week.

The calipers have been rebuilt with wavy discs front and back with braided lines.

I have to really stomp on the rear brake lever before I can feel it engage and even then it's not effective, whereas the front brakes will stop on a dime.

I've looked at the system and I've tried bleeding it as well as adjusting the lever placement but it seems to make no difference. However my friend says that he doesn't have to touch his rear brake much on his 400 L as it's really effective and can lock the back wheel.

I'd like to have a bit more faith in my rear brake so any suggestions are welcome. I do know the standard calipers aren't amazing but they can't be this bad.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Rear brake not effective

Post by CaNsA »

the brakes need bleeding, and the pads need bedding in.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
neil_1821
My Bike: ZXR 750 & ZXR 400

Post by neil_1821 »

CaNsA wrote:the brakes need bleeding, and the pads need bedding in.
How do you know when you've effectively bled the system?

I have a brake bleeding kit with a one way valve and I kept doing it until I had a fair amount of brake fluid in the container.

Never actually thought about the brakes needing to be bedded in though
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

neil_1821 wrote:
CaNsA wrote:the brakes need bleeding, and the pads need bedding in.
How do you know when you've effectively bled the system?
no more air will be coming out, there should be no spongyness to the lever, and it should feel firm very early on.

as cargo said, there are 2 brake bleed nipples on the rear caliper, you need to bleed them both.

if you are still having problems, remove the rear caliper and elevate it as high as you can, so that the bleed nipples are the absolute highest point, put a spanner inbetween the pads to give the caliper something to clamp onto and repeat your brake bleeding...seems a bit of a faff, but if you have an awkward air bubble somewhere its a good way to dislodge it...shaking/tapping the caliper and lines can also help...but if its fresh fluid its fairly low viscosity so air doesnt get "held back" all that much.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003