Clicking coil

Moderator: Moderators

Nat1975
My Bike: Zxr 400 H1

Clicking coil

Post by Nat1975 »

Hi all
I few months ago I bought a H1 as a project. It's finished now apart from the fact it will not run properly!
The bike was a non runner and not used in 8 years. I cleaned the carbs and put fresh oil in before I tried to start it.
It started but ran on two cylinders. So I stripped and cleaned the carbs again. Still running on two. I then replaced the coils with new ones with new leads. Same result, running on two. I then stripped and cleaned the carbs again with a service kit on each carb. It now starts ok and all four headers are red hot indicating running on all four (although number 3 seemed to be a little cooler)
My problem is there is a clicking sound coming from the coils. When it is at low revs just before it stalls you can hear a clicking noise. This goes away when you Rev the bike at about 3000 revs.
It also still sounds lumpy, like its running on three.

The battery is newish but I have also used the battery out of my ZX9 and it gave the same result, so I have dismissed the battery as being at fault as my ZX9 runs perfectly.
Any idea why the coils would be clicking? It sounds like a relay type of click but coming from where the coils are.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers, Nat.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Clicking coil

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds like an insulation breakdown on the leads and its arcing on the frame or engine.

Might explain why three isnt quite right so theres a starting point :)
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Thanks for that. I will refit the old coils and leads next week when I have chance. See if the same problem occurs.
I was thinking ECU might be faulty. Will try the old coils first and report back!
Cheers.
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Finally got around to trying the bike today. I switched the coils that where making the clicking sound for the old ones. Then it snowed! and then been busy at work until today.

So, with the old coils fitted it is still running on three but before it was number 3 that was not working and now it is number 1 that's not working. The clicking sound has gone. Which is good but still running on three.

I'm going to fit the new leads of the new coils to the old coils and try it again.
I'm sure the carbs are ok after I gave them a good clean and fitting a service kit to each carb. Also, because it was number 3 not firing and now it's number 1 surely this indicates that the carbs are ok?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds more like something to do with the coils than carbs. And since moving the coils about its changed i cant see it being anything else.

Clicking may even be a broken lead thats arcing across inside the insulation. Moving it has made it better but still not great.
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

So, today I fitted the new HT leads to the old coils. Then I thought I would test them again with my multimeter. Could not get the correct readings on the old coils or the new ones.
Bought a new multimeter. Old coils are caput, new ones give the correct readings (these where the ones that clicked)
So a bit more testing with my new multimeter, because this one works!
When I do a continuity test on the HT leads all is good. When I do a continuity test on the spark plug caps, I don't get a beep. Should the spark plug cap have continuity from where the HT lead screws in to it, to the end that clips on the spark plug?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Yes it should.
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Checked the caps again using the ohms thingy on my multimeter. Number one cap has a different reading to the other three.
I have ordered new ones. I will fit them next week and report back.

Many thanks for your help Rob.
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Ok. So I ordered new spark plug caps. When they came they where to short so I sent them back and asked for the longer ones that fit my bike. After nearly two weeks from sending the wrong one's back, I recieved the new ones. These where to short also!
Sent them back and asked for a refund.
Found someone else on fleabay selling spark plug caps, asked why the cap pictured in thier add looks far to short to fit the bike stated in the add. Their reply was that NGK said that's the one that fits a ZXR400 H1.
So, does any know where I can buy the correct spark plug caps for my bike?
Cheers, Nat.
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

I don't know about the H1 but Cradleys still list caps for the H2 as available, £26 each
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Jesus! Might try second hand first.
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

My second hand coil came today with two ht leads and two plug caps. So I now have two spare plug caps.
Unfortunately I can get no reading from my multimeter from the two plug caps that came today.
Three of my original plug caps give a good consistent reading of between 4.62 to 4.83 when my multimeter is set on 20K ohms.
One gave a very inconsistent reading, sometimes not registering any reading at all.
This was on the cylider/header that was not getting as hot as the other three and with the bike sounding like it was running on three, which I'm sure it was.
But after messing around cleaning the new plug caps and getting no reading, I thought I would try the dodgy original one, I got a reading of 5.48. A very consistent reading.
Does anyone know why I would not get a reading one day and a very consistent one the next?

Also my spark plugs are the Denso U27ESR-N. I have read that these are for the 1990 onwards not the H1. Would this make a difference? Nothing to do with the spark plug caps, but thought I would ask.
Cheers, Nat.
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Update. Lots of messing about, bought new spark plugs, bought a second hand plug cap with the same ohms reading as the other three caps. It's had new coils and HT leads.
Started the bike and it ran on three again. Number 2 has decided to take a turn at not working.
Swapped the plug caps between 1 and 2.
Restarted, and now 2 and 3 don't fire!
Swapped the coils, restarted, 2 and 3 still don't fire. So, coils are ok.
So I then traced the wires from the coils (2 red, 1 green,1 black) back to the IC Igniter.
Unplugged the connector plug from the IC Igniter and tested for continuity between the IC plug and the wires at the coil end.

Coil Green has continuity with just plug green.
Coil Black has continuity with just plug black.
Left coil red has continuity with plug black and red?
Right coil red has continuity with plug green and red?

I can't see why the red wires would have continuity with the others. Looked at a H2 wiring diagram (mine is a H1) and I can see no reason why I would get this reading.
Am I right in thinking I have a short somewhere?
I hope someone can help or has Steven Hawkins phone number!
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

I have Sussed the continuity issue.
The red wire that is pluged into the coil would give continuity to the green wire pluged into the same coil.
This was the case while I was testing the red wire on the other coil.

So, new spark plugs, new ht leads, new coils. Continuity of the wires.
Still running on two!
Is it worth buying a second hand IC igniter?
Also, would the pick up coil cause a problem like this if its faulty?
Nat1975

Post by Nat1975 »

Just checked the pick up coil resistance. All correct.
Taken the IC Igniter off and tested that following the manual.
Can not get any readings at all from pin's A,F and E.
So I need to replace the ECU.
Now then, mine is a restricted red A ECU. Can I plug an unrestricted one in without causing any issues?
I have searched on the forum and found conflicting advise. Up to date I have read about 90% of the entire forum looking for answers, I could of got my wires crossed when reading about so many different topics. So forgive me if I'm wrong.
So, as I need to buy a new Igniter box, can I buy an unrestricted one and plug it in and ride off into the sun set?
Bike is a H1.