Takets long time to start

Moderator: Moderators

zxrkawa
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by zxrkawa »

Hello,

When i try to start the bike when cold or it has been sittning for a while i have to let the starter go for about 20 SEK before it fires again. Seems to me it does not get fuel, like the carbs are drained. Is that possible?

Otherwise the bike runs fine. Choke when starting it cold and after it fires the idle is perfect. New plugs, coils, wires, carbs cleaned.

The battery is not perfect but it turns the engine quite fast when starting.

Its a zxr400 from 92
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

You could try adjusting the pilot screws on the carbs to richen them a bit. Go to the fueling section for a guide how to do this!
zxrkawa

Re: Takets long time to start

Post by zxrkawa »

Hello, thanks for the tip. I have richen the carbs to make it run better and start easier. I can try to richen even more and see what happens.
deano1351
My Bike: Anything with two wheels

Post by deano1351 »

Hi mate, did you sort this problem with your bike, it sounds exactly the same as mine, bike runs perfectly otherwise just takes forever to fire when it's cold or been left a while, as if the carbs are empty, even the other day when it ran out of fuel and I put it on reserve it took so long the battery died, luckily I was on a hill and a quick bump start got it it going
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

I take it you are using the choke to start it cold? As mentioned above, try richening your pilot jets, so there is a bit more fuel in the mix when starting.
zxrkawa

Post by zxrkawa »

Just wanted to update this issue. I found out what the problem was. The fuelpump only runs when the startermotor runs or when the engine is running. So i hotwired the fuelpump so it could fill the carburrettor full before i tried do start. In other words i primed it properly. After this it runs like charm! Just touches the starterbutton and it fires instantly both warm and cold.

So if someone runs out of petrol or take the carburetors of for some reason and have starting problems after this could be something to try!
deano1351
My Bike: Anything with two wheels

Post by deano1351 »

That's a good idea, it just bugs me that other bikes start instantly hot or cold, I thought my problem could have been the old fuel pipes being brittle and letting the fuel evaporate when its been sat for a while so I changed all the pipes and the problem is still there, I bought a CO machine and set my mixture screws as good as I could get them today, its now running at 2.5% CO at idle and sounds great and rides perfectly but I'm pretty sure when I go to start it again tomorrow it will take a while to fire, its almost like I shouldn't touch the choke at all. Even when the bike is warm and I turn it off it wont start again without a bit of throttle. I did discover that I have a regulator problem today, it does charge but not nearly enough, maybe 13 volts at 4000rpm so possibly that's what is it is, il get another regulator and try again, the fun of old bikes I guess :smt003