Siliconed cush drive

Moderator: Moderators

Flatcap
My Bike: ZXR 400 L4

Siliconed cush drive

Post by Flatcap »

Im about to paint a replacement wheel which has no sprocket &disc on it so began pulling the bits of the original wheel.Why, when the cush drive rubbers look good, did someone in the past stuff it all with bleedin silicone? Now I know no ones a prophet on here but is this a done thing?
Tricky
My Bike: ZXR400

Re: Siliconed cush drive

Post by Tricky »

in the track day/racing world, rubbers are often siliconed in so that when you change from drys to wets (wheels), all you have to do is pull the sprocket carrier out without wasting time/messing about replacing the rubbers.
Flatcap

Post by Flatcap »

Maybe its been tracked at some point then! Cant think of any other reason to fill it with that stuff
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Unless it's some how to do with a worn Cush rubber and the previous person has tried to bodge it with silicone to take up slack...

Seems unlikely now I've read that back lol
Tricky
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Tricky »

Miles wrote:Unless it's some how to do with a worn Cush rubber and the previous person has tried to bodge it with silicone to take up slack...

Seems unlikely now I've read that back lol
its a possibility, ive seen worse bodges!

what's the condition of the rubbers Flatcap?
Flatcap

Post by Flatcap »

They look pretty good with no apparent sign of splitting or cracking but I would have no idea it they shrink or not! Anyway, I have fitted them back in without the goo so will see how it is once I can ride the thing :smt002 Carbs are out having a clean at the moment