Another "Hanging Revs" Post (with video)

Moderator: Moderators

jonno_36

Another "Hanging Revs" Post (with video)

Post by jonno_36 »

Right, second post in, after some advice on "Hanging Revs"

As per my initial post, standard 2002 L9 with 15kmiles
Recently re commissioned after being stood for 12 months, so pretty much all new serviceable items

Starts fine when cold with a touch of choke and idles as it should 1000 - 1500rpm

Rides Great

After a couple of miles and getting warm/hot she will then idle between 2000 - 3000rpm

I was looking at an after market can, but not if i am going to sit at a set of traffic lights with it idling that high!

I am not mechanically trained, but reasonably handy with a set of spanners and did all the re commissioning work myself..... but have never taken off/apart a set of bike carbs

Last time i took the tank off i changed the gasket between the air box and carbs, and re set the fuel/air mixture screws which didn't seem to make any difference :smt017

Just wondered if there is anything else worth trying before i venture into the unknown and have a crack a the carbs?

Thanks in advance

Jon

Here is a little video... 20 miles into a ride, stopping for fuel on the way into work. The reason for me "blipping" is sometimes it will settle back down, making be think something may be sticking inside?? (Sterling Corner, bottom of the A1, north London for anybody interested!)

https://youtu.be/p7LT5WPN_Cs
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Re: Another "Hanging Revs" Post (with video)

Post by R P Corse »

i used to get this a lot - i put this down to an air leak near the carbs, the airbox isn't sealed properly onto the carbs or you have splits in the inlet rubbers, mine did this exact thing
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Check for leaks around the carb rubbers. Might be time for new carb rubbers and their o-rings

Then I guess it's time for a carb clean.

Mine suffers from the same problems and I balanced the carbs. Helped massively but didn't cure it.

I'm still in the process of finding the fault so I'll let you know
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

Check the bits that come out the sides of the carbs when you put the choke on aren't gunked up and not fully returning when you take the choke off too