ZXR 400 Starting problems

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GeorgeBuck
My Bike: ZXR 400

ZXR 400 Starting problems

Post by GeorgeBuck »

Hi all I've recently bought a zxr400 with 4500 miles, I've ridden it for about a month until the cam shaft chain guide snapped on my while riding(I tried starting the bike with the start button but nothing, then push started it and run with an awful grinding noise). since then I've replaced the broken parts and what not, had the timing done correctly to my knowledge. During the process of repairing it I haven't been able to start the bike with the start switch, I can hear the engine turn over but it doesn't start. Even put my finger on the end of the spark plug (plugged into the ignition coil) and wasn't getting a shock when starting it. So with no idea what to do put it all back together and push started it like before and it ran like a dream but still doesnt start by the switch.

I thought it could be the cdi box, When repairing the bike the battery was dead and i recharged it and put a multi meter to it and it still reading 12v not too sure if it could still be the battery even if holding 12v.

Any idea on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.