Restrictors finally come out...but need advice!

Moderator: Moderators

CarneyUK

Restrictors finally come out...but need advice!

Post by CarneyUK »

The restrictors finally came off today as I have had my licence 2 years.

I picked the bike from the garage and headed out with a friend for a test ride. As we went through town I kept it slow and the bike didn't feel any different from what it was before.

Once we got town out the way we headed to the A30. Onto the A30 and we were behind a car. I opened up the bike for an overtake and the revs picked up as normal. This time when I got to around 8000rpm the bike started to pull hard, by the time I got to 12000rpm I was passed the car and as I pulled back in I was right up the butt of the car infront. It was bloody awesome. After passing about 5 cars along the A30 I was smiling from ear to ear. :smt003

It's like having a new bike and all I want to do is ride it!!

The only thing I did notice was that when I was in top gear the bike would lose power at around 100 mph but the bike would slow down to around 80mph. It's as though not enough fuel was getting through. The only way to get it going again was to roll off the power for a few seconds. I am thinking that it may be flooding or not setup properly. The most I have got out of it was 110mph.

I wound the throttle slider in on the back of the throttle and this has stopped it from loosing power but it won't go much over 105mph now. Any ideas? It's an import but the bloke said it had been de restricted at the clocks and as I said it slowed right down to 80 mph so I don't think that is the problem.

Just to add, the bike had lost power a few times before even when the restrictors were in :smt017
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

id get it serviced and the carbs balanced and make sure the clutch isnt slipping.
Quicker Than Yngwie

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds exactly like the speed restrictor, check to see if its connected, it wont be plugged into the clock itself but into the loom that the clock plugged into. Will either be a little black box or possibly a red one.
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

diesel wrote:id get it serviced and the carbs balanced and make sure the clutch isnt slipping.
New clutch cable on order, the old one is on it's limit!! and as soon as I can afford it it'll go in for a service.
RobB wrote:Sounds exactly like the speed restrictor, check to see if its connected, it wont be plugged into the clock itself but into the loom that the clock plugged into. Will either be a little black box or possibly a red one.
I've had a look but there are that many wires and little boxes it looks like spaghetti to me :smt017 I will get the nose cone off and take some pictures. I am thinking that it has not been de-restricted at the clocks like the bloke told me!!!

Thanks for the info :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

cool, get some pictures. If it hasnt been derestricted then there will be a wire from the back of the speedo that traces back into the loom where the lights also go. If has been derestricted then there will just be a random wire hanging off the back of the speedo.
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Had a look at the bike today and found that the wire that comes out the back of the speedo goes into the normal loom so the bike may still be restricted at the clocks.

This as I understand restricts the bike to around 180kph or 115mph. I took the bike out today and put the video on it. The bike maxed out at 95mph or 150kph which to me is nowhere near the restricotrs anyway. It then slowed down to about 70mph? I kept the throttle open till I got passed the truck at least. Check out the vid.....it's big so may take a while

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/carneyuk/videos/WTF.wmv

This leads me to believe that the bike has a problem....needs a bloody good service!!!
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

are the jets altered on a restricted bike?
Andy
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

jets arent altered no, good vid by the way :D

that is odd :smt017 so even with the clocks plugged in its still doing the same thing? Id be tempted to get it to the garage that removed them to see if they put everything back properly. Perhaps they didnt tighten up the inlet manifolds properly.
Little Loris
My Bike: 2008 Yamaha R6

Post by Little Loris »

Looks like you're doing about 30mph and the speedo says 90mph :smt005
CarneyUK

Post by CarneyUK »

Had a bit of a result today and finally may have some answers.

The clutch cable arrived today and what a differnece it made. The old cable was almost on braking point and the bottom end where it connects to the clutch bar was on the last adjustment. I can now change gear with 2 fingers and it feels great.

So I took the bike out for a ride and got it properly warmed up. Got to 172kph or about 112mph. The bike then would not go any faster and the revs seemed to be getting held back but the bike didn't slow. It just stayed at 112mph till I throttled off!!! Should have put the camera on :smt003

I had adjusted the black throttle thing on the back of the handlebars that goes into the throttle grip. I think this was set to give to much throttle and was putting to much fuel in. It backfired yesterday when I went to start it!!

It seems that the bike needs a service as Diesel said before and needs to be warmed up properly before I get video's on it. The bike is also still restricted at the clocks as I have now figured out. I best start selling some stuff on EBay to get some cash.

Thanks for the help peeps!!