Storing your bike over winter

This forum is for informative threads, if you feel a topic should be in here then let us know and we will move it.

Moderator: Moderators

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Storing your bike over winter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Well got up this morning to see the first signs of frost so thought i'd start a post for storing the bike over the winter for those of us that don't use the bike in the cold months.

did a quick search across the net as you do and found this from http://www.motorcyclebasics.com/
(hope they don't mind us pinching it?)

Steps for storing you motorcycle

Clean It! - The first thing that you should do is wash your motorcycle. The last thing that you want to do is let your bike sit for months with dirt, bugs and road grime on it. Come spring you will have a tough time getting it off. Trust me!

Chain: - Once the bike is cleaned then you want to thoroughly clean and lube your chain.

Lube It! – As well as the chain all other parts that are prone to rust and corrosion, this would include the bolts, cables, and switches. (WD40 or another rust inhibitor will work here).

Oil: - It is a good idea to change your engine oil. Used oil has contaminants in it that can adhere to parts of an engine. Changing your oil will remove these materials. It is important that once you change you oil, you do not run the engine for a long period of time, this will just contaminate the oil again!! Starting it for a brief period will lubricate the parts in the engine. Don't go for a ride however.

Gas Tank: - I have heard that it is recommended that you drain your gas tank. This is not a good idea as it allows condensation to form. The tank should be filled to prevent condensation. Once the tank if full you will need to add fuel-stabilizer to keep the gas for going stale. You can purchase fuel-stabilizer at your local bike shop.

Carburetors: - If your bike has carburetors then you will need to drain the fuel contained in the float bowls. Fuel left in side them will become stale, and turn into varnish gumming up the inner workings of the carburetors. This will require disassembly and cleaning. To drain the float bowls there are screws located near the bottom of each carburetor, check your owner's manual.

Battery: - Remove the battery and place it on a charger. The best kind of charger is a 12 volt charger, which will charge a battery to full (14.4 volts) capacity and then automatically switch to (float/ maintain) insuring that the battery will not be overcharged. A regular charger will also work, but you will have to take care that the batter will no be over charged. If you leave your battery in your motorcycle over the winter, by spring time it will not have a charge.

Tires: - Having your motorcycle sitting in one spot for extended periods of time can create flat spots in your tires. The best solution for this is to elevate both wheels off the ground with front and rear stands. If you do not have a set of stands and do not want to spend that kind of money, your other choice is to periodically, (a couple times a month will do) move your bike around so that it is not sitting on the same part of the tires all winter long.

I would also recommend that you do an inspection of your tires, making sure that they do not have any punctures.
You should also add some extra air (5psi or so) to your tires for storing, because there will be some air loss over that time.

Taking the time now to properly store your motorcycle will not only protect it for the ravages of time and Mother Nature, it also makes it easier to get your bike up and running again when the warm weather returns in the spring
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Zedder
My Bike: zxr400

Re: Storing your bike over winter

Post by Zedder »

Some good tips there mate. Thanks for posting this. :smt001
wonderpupp
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZX6R P7F

Post by wonderpupp »

So far my ZX6R has come out in the winter, for a few hours at a time - but ends up back in the garage festering in the muck it gathers. Ewww.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

thought i'd bump this topic as the winter approaches.don't forget to check your coolant mixtures guys.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

WD40 = Water Dispersant attempt #40

You need something like Wurth spray oil / rust inhibitor to stop rust - WD does put a coating on but its not rust proof !

If you've got a concrete base garage /hut / shed / house put a wood sheet under the tyre's or better yet get a 6X3 sheet of Stirling board (OSB) and sit the bike on top of that, you get the added bonus of when your working on the bike spills don't stain your concrete. This helps prevent "creep" into the tyres it also stops you getting cold toes standing on an ice cold block of concrete :smt001

Sounds nut's but an old blanket / duvet over your cherished one also stops dramatic temp changes and the effects of mother nature.

Coat your damper rod and stanchions in grease.

Fortunately i don't have this delight anymore as the bike is only ever of the road for 6 weeks top's here :smt001 Still get 20c day's just now :smt007
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

for the racebikes,dont forget to get that water out before this weekend!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

why this weekend?
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

sposed to be fkin freezin init
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

mines kept outside under a cover, one thing ive done is puit a coating of oil on the forks to stop them rusting
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

just been out and its -2' C so time to check the antifreeze lads.........well not exactly at this minute but asap!!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

masterofinsanity wrote:just been out and its -2' C !!

shocking

+18'c day
+5'c night

:smt003

Sorry , I'll get me (summer) coat on :smt002

MM!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

see the first bit of frost here a few weeks back when we had a cold snap. Just been wet and cold since....