Servicing Parts inc Chain, Pads, Hoses

Moderator: Moderators

dower
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Servicing Parts inc Chain, Pads, Hoses

Post by dower »

Hello All. I'm looking to purchase the a new chain and sprocket kit, new brake pads and a braided break line kit but I'm not sure what i need. I've decided on standard gearing and an X ring chain, low brake dust pads if they exist and goodridge hoses.

I've seen a DID X Ring gold chain and sprocket kit on ebay for around 75.00 and a Renthal SRS kit for around 120.00 from busters. Is it worth the extra cost?

Can i get low dust break pads if so are they any good at stopping the bike?

Lastly Goodridge do a 2 and 3 line front break kit. I understand that each caliper would need a line so where does the third go?

Sorry for all the questions but the weather is getting better and i wan't to get back out there. Thank you for your help.

Rob
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Servicing Parts inc Chain, Pads, Hoses

Post by masterofinsanity »

Hi
chain and sprockets are personal preference, just stay away from unknown makes, i go with what i can afford at the time, i've even sat for hours on end wiggling a seized chain in oil to use it again and i did for months.

dunno about low dust pads, does it matter as long as you keep the bike cleaned? if you're worried bout a bit of brake dust get some brake cleaner for when you wash the bike.

As for the hose kits a 2 line kit is where both lines run from the master cylinder, a 3 line uses a single line down to a splitter then 2 lines from the splitter to each caliper.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

masterofinsanity wrote: a 3 line uses a single line down to a splitter then 2 lines from the splitter to each caliper.
But you dont want this....

Go for the 2 line :D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
dower

Post by dower »

Ok thanks guys. I've decided on a DID X ring gold chain and I've found some EBC FA180 pads on ebay which i think i'll get too. On the pads I can't stand any dirt on my bike and I know it's sad but sometimes i won't ride it if i think it will get too dirty. I had my wheels powder coated so it does wipe off when cleaned. The brake line kit will have to wait as the pads are more expensive than i expected.
dower

Post by dower »

started my bike today and i have a fuel leak so this will have to wait.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

If you are going to fit braided lines do be aware that they can be a PITA to bleed. That's not said to put you off - they are one of the best upgrades you can make - but don't think it's going to be a bolt on and ride away in 5 minutes job. You could spend a LONG time getting fluid into the front line with the traditional lever method and bleeding afterwards will be another long and drawn out job. Don't be surprised if it takes you days rather than hours to get a satisfactory brake. Having experienced all this myself I can heartily recommend a vacuum bleed kit, which will get you the job done very quickly and much less painfully.

If you do a search on here about brake bleeding you will pick up what I wrote to help you.

TBH, if you are going to the trouble and expense of fitting braided lines your first consideration wants to be how good brakes you end up with. Bugger the amount of dust the pads create, it soon washes off. I'm very picky about the condition of my bike too but I reckon it will look a whole load worse covered in mud from the field I might end up in if my pads are toad. EBC aren't top of my list. Also, if they're not creating much dust that implies they're not wearing much. So if the pads aren't wearing out what is - your discs? Expensive way to avoid cleaning :smt009
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
dower

Post by dower »

That's a good point about wearing out the discs. All of this is on hold at the moment. I went out the other day only to find my bike was leaking fuel. I've taken the tank off today and found that the pump is leaking from what looks like a join that shouldn't be messed with. The hoses are fine.

Now i've seen these second hand on ebay however i don't fancy fitting a second hand one only to replace that one a few months down the road. So it looks like a new one. Has anyone purchased one of these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kawasaki-ZXR400-L ... 2a0bbf0aef

Thanks for any replies
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

give cradley a call and see how much a new one is. Im pretty sure they arent much more than that ebay item and you just might get a 10% zxrworld discount if you ask for it.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

I'm pretty sure the fuel pumps are mostly reliable, so you should be ok with a 2nd hand one. I'd definitely go for one if I had to.

If you're going to go for new, and decide to buy OEM from Cradley's, I think I'm right in saying that only Owners Club members get the 10% off. So you will need to bung Baz your £5 fee. If they are £70-ish you'll basically get your membership free and still be in pocket by a few quid.

And you'll be helping to keep this site going. Winners all round :smt003
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
dower

Post by dower »

I called Cradley and they quoted me £185.00 so i've got the new one from ebay. I have all parts now including: New fuel pump, Fuel filter, Renthal SRS chain, Renthal front sprocket, Renthal rear sprocket, EBC FA180 HH brake pads.

Now i need to know if i'm being picky here please. The rear sprocket has scratches and grey marks on it. Should i send it back or get it fitted? It's not been fitted but looks like it could have been on display or something. What do you think?

Thanks
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

Shouldnt be a problem there solid metal as long as the teeth and that are new i wouldnt worry
Ride it like you stole it