2nd gear crunching...

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

2nd gear crunching...

Post by banner001 »

pulling out from work today (hard-ish on the gas) i shift from 1st to 2nd, the gear missed, made a crunching sound and now i have this horrible crunching sound and vibration through the gear lever when in 2nd gear. does not happen in any other gear and seems worse in decelaration rather than acceleration.

i am wondering whether i have fecked up the 2nd gear cog, like snapped a tooth off?? also as there is no apparant problem in any other gear is the bike still "usable", or is this problem likely to spill over and cause problems for some other component.

my major worry is that something has snapped off and will lodge somewhere it shouldnt...fucking hell!!! :smt013

also, whats a likely cost to have this fixed at a garage? i will ring up my usual place on monday.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: 2nd gear crunching...

Post by RedexRobB »

You could check the oil for signs of parts but other than getting it apart id wait n talk to your usual place.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

drained the oil, no sign of anything, doesnt look any different from how i would have imagined it.

dropping the engine tonight/tomorrow, garage has quoted me ~£200 in labour plus parts...hmmm wondering if i can do it myself now...i was wondering, do i need to dismantle and remove the clutch in order to get to the transmission, its a bit hard to see from the manual.

btw if anyone wants to drop down to cov to assist us feel free...i will pay you something for your troubles...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

ok there is a DIY garage here in cov, gonna do the work there, plus i kinda know the owner so that should be ok.

if someone can do a quick checklist for me to do to get at the gearchain that would be excellent

before i start, do i need to remove the cylinder head at all?
also, is it possible to turn the engine "upside down" when splitting the crankcase in order to leave the pistons in the bores - i have heard that they are a pain to get back in?
and lastly, what happens to the cam chain when i remove everything, i assume that it remains attached to the crankshaft assembly...but i would have thought that that would come apart when i split the cases? or does that remain in the upper half of the crankcase, whilst the transmission is held in place in the lower crankcase?

cheers
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

£200 in labour plus parts is an absolute bargain but I'd want that in writing. There is a LOT of work here and working on a gearbox and splitting the crankcases is just about the most complicated job you can do on a bike, it is not the work for a novice. I really don't recommend you try this yourself as you don't sound to me as though you have anywhere near like the mechanical skills to pull it off ('getting at the gearchain' etc shows you don't have a clue - I'm not trying to be rude, just honest to save you a lot of pain). Yes, you do need to take the cylinder head off! You need to take the engine completely to bits more or less, this is a major job.

If you've buggered the gearbox then economically you may well be better off buying a new engine unless you are a skilled mechanic. Yes, it is that serious I'm afraid vsad
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

Sorry to contradict you 'Tirpitz' but you dont need to take the head off to do the gearbox....no need to touch the top end....head...pistons...cams ect all stay in place....its a fairly simple job and i would do it for £100 plus parts and i will definitly have everything in stock. Pity you live so far away 'banner001'
R.Middleton
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Mr. Middleton.... Where do you reside squire?
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

rmkd177 wrote:Sorry to contradict you 'Tirpitz' but you dont need to take the head off to do the gearbox....no need to touch the top end....head...pistons...cams ect all stay in place....its a fairly simple job and i would do it for £100 plus parts and i will definitly have everything in stock. Pity you live so far away 'banner001'
Sorry Roger well corrected, you're right to contradict my talking rubbish :smt001 . I've never done this job but with the OP saying that he was going to split the cases then I assumed (without reading up myself) that this would mean he was going to have to pretty much take the lot to bits.

Banner - there's no way you want to be buggering about with this job as a novice when Roger will do it for that price. I couldn't even begin to be arsed for that money. Even from Coventry I'd be looking to get it in a car and deliver it to him - even with the petrol it's a no-brainer.
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

im originally from huddersfield, my dads a joiner so he's up and down the M1 all the time going back to huddersfield, he might be able to pick it up and drop it off...i have a funny feeling that roger is in york, so not far from huddersfield, might even be able to get it posted from there to his.

and yeah for £100 i cant go wrong.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Tirpitz »

banner001 wrote:i have a funny feeling that roger is in york
........ is the right answer :smt001
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
Nitron Sport shock
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

gonna see about getting the valve clearances sorted, and get the cam chain looked at/adjusted at the same time.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to Roger for the engine help!

Cannot thank him enough for all his help, it was the second gear, i had snapped a tooth of the 19T sprocket, ill put up a pic later on. Gonna get the radiator and oil cooler back on, stick in some oil and coolant, feed it some fuel, get the carbs synched and see how everything sounds!

gonna take the forks apart and get back on the road within the week hopefully :excited
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

pleased to hear you got it sorted. Think thats got to be the first time ive heard of a tooth going astray.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Pick of the fubar gear and loose tooth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.