Clutch cable got loose, question about shift rod.

Moderator: Moderators

Dutch_ZXR
My Bike: ZXR400 1991 / DRZ400 2005

Clutch cable got loose, question about shift rod.

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

I got home from work earlier today and decided to fill the bike up with gas. Halfway there all of a sudden my clutch-lever seized to work. I had to ride back without using the clutch and took the side-panel off when I got home.

I then noticed the following:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-94Y ... 0hXS3cyc28

I re-seated the shifter rod and re-attached the clutch cable and drove 15 meters down the street while shifting up- and down through the gears. There weren't any issues, but what I am wondering is whether the rod should have been able to get out this far in the first place?

I wasn't able to pull it out any further than shown in the picture, but I wasn't putting to much pressure on it.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Clutch cable got loose, question about shift rod.

Post by banner001 »

Don't pull it out to far or you will damage the oil seals and they will then need to be replaced, you have it more that far enough out.

In order for the lever to be detached you have to rotate it CCW when looking from above, all I can imagine has happened is the plate that's attached to the clutch lever that holds the clutch cable in place has "opened out" over time, causing your cable to come free, allowing the lever to vibrate and come off its internal knuckle...causing it to fall down.

I would check that your clutch cable is correctly located into the shifter arm, not to tightly, but secure enough that it can't come out. Check to make sure that the nipple on the end of your clutch cable is not overly warn away and rounded off. And lastly check that your cable tension is good and the clutch is operating at the correct bite point.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Dutch_ZXR
My Bike: ZXR400 1991 / DRZ400 2005

Re: Clutch cable got loose, question about shift rod.

Post by Dutch_ZXR »

Cheers, I had ordered a new cable. Haven't compared them yet, but it seems like the nipple of the old one is definitely worn out compared to the new one that was delivered yesterday.

I have been riding to work the last two days and I felt something tick (can't hear any weird noises though) that vibrates to the feet pegs. Kinda like something is turning around and at some point it hits something and then continues turning and so on. So I'll take off the clutch-cover coming Sunday just to make sure everything seems OK underneath.

The weird thing is that it's not doing it constantly. For example this morning I was riding for 10 minutes and the last 5 minutes i felt it started ticking.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I don't feel the tick anymore as soon as I pull in the clutch. Revving does not make it re-appear, it only comes back when I release the clutch-lever again.