Major oil leak

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Chefpete1
My Bike: ZXR 400 RACE BIKE

Major oil leak

Post by Chefpete1 »

Hi Guys, hope you can help with this. Got pulled off track the weekend as it looked like my right boot sprang a pretty major oil leak .😂😂.
Dropped the belly pan and cleaned up the oil, from the front of the engine all the way to the exhaust, all down the right hand side. Pretty major leak. After cleaning i started the bike up to look for the leak and not a drop came out !!!!
I did a full top end rebuild over the winter, all new major gaskets , all genuine. Used the bike on track for 2 days . Not a problem . Then this weekend a gusher. I'm fairly up to date with the zxr and this forum has been a huge help over the years. I do EVERYTHING myself.
So, in my opinion its not the pulse cover or clutch cover gaskets, both were new and there's just too much oil leaking for it to be that.
The spark plug tunnel o rings top and bottom were not changed (shame on me) ,possibility but its more down the right hand side than the front.
The only other possibility is the oil feeder pipe from the sump to the head, removed this from the head section only and was able to turn the metal end in a circle without the pipe turning. I have a spare engine so checked its oil pipe and it doesn't turn so it appears the crimp has broken . While this is most likely the cause I'd just like to hear from Cargo, Master, redex etc to see if they've experienced this before.
As I've said leak only happens when it's under load so can't see for sure but everything points to the oil pipe ( which of course is not available new) .
Let me know your thoughts lads
Thanks in advance
watsonm359
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Re: Major oil leak

Post by watsonm359 »

Sounds messy mate! There are some second hand oil feed pipes on eBay if required, but you correctly pointed out that they are no longer in production. I snapped up a rare nos one a few months ago at less than half the price of a new one when they were available. Bargain.

I’ve got 2 spare if you need one and will only cost you postage. Pm me if you need one, but bear in mind I cannot post until the weekend as I work away during the week. 👍👍
MRLZXR400
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by MRLZXR400 »

Sorry, can’t help with the oil issue, but just wanted to say what a great forum this is, with great support for each other as shown by the last two posts.
I have a few bikes and visit other forums, they could all learn a lot from this one, the members are always helpful and often generous, as shown above. Just sayin!👏
1999 Kawasaki ZXR400 UK L9, 1960 Triumph Tiger Cub, 1996 Ducati 748, 1999 Aprilia RS125 2T.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

MRLZXR400 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:33 am
Sorry, can’t help with the oil issue, but just wanted to say what a great forum this is, with great support for each other as shown by the last two posts.
I have a few bikes and visit other forums, they could all learn a lot from this one, the members are always helpful and often generous, as shown above. Just sayin!👏
Thankyou!! i don't frequent as much as i should but do pop back at least once a week to check all is in order. I guess after 2o years of running this all questions have been answered before, appreciate your comments.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

:smt007
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Andrewsamson
My Bike: Zxr400 L9 1999

Post by Andrewsamson »

Hi mate great question, I posted a question about this myself, I notice the exact same oil leak and I’m dead certain it’s the oil pipe because my bike’s oil pipe was wet with oil, I did not start to check yet but I will in 2days.

If incase it’s the oil pipe what do you suggest I do ? I have a L9