Larger/endurance fuel tank

Moderator: Moderators

gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Larger/endurance fuel tank

Post by gavinfdavies »

i'm getting a little annoyed with the tiny tank on the zxr. Last weekend i had to do a 160 mile journey followed two hours later by a 240 mile journey. Having gone up one tooth on the front sproket the revs were a little more sedate around the ton mark, and fuel economy at speed was a surprisingly consistent 44mpg. At one point my speedo seemed to *ahem* malfunction on a long straight on the m1, reading 140mph, a new record for my little zxr :excited .

But dispite the concrete seat making my bum feel like it had been ravaged by a randy rhino, what irritated the most was the 120 mile tank range. On the motorway the meant stopping almost every hour.

To put it into perspective, I passed a r1200rt will panniers and pillion on m25 (him at 80, me doing 100), 20 mins before stopping for a fill up. I then passed him & her 40 mins later, after which i had to stop again... then guess what? yup, i passed them again 20 mins after that! Talk about tortoise and the hare! :pmsl

So, to finally get to the point...

WHERE CAN I GET A BIGGER TANK?!?! :smt013
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Larger/endurance fuel tank

Post by RedexRobB »

Dont think youll find a larger tank for the ZXR. Only thing i would suggest is a seperate tank squeezed just above the gear box to give you a few extra miles, other than that your probably on the wrong bike.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by jake »

you could get one of the false tanks from raven performance or bmc, and get a large ally cell fabricated. The cells you get with these tanks are only a couple of litres ya see
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gavinfdavies »

hmmm. might look at stripping underside of tank back to bare metal and adding on a section over the gearbox. or maybe an undertail remote job. lets face it, just how much of that rear wheel travel does a zxr use?!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I have a 24 liter tank its a standard one with some extra added. It wont fit with a standard sub frame and so I have a modified one to suit. So it can be done.
My race bike does about 5.35 miles per liter
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gavinfdavies »

25mpg, not bad for race use. Though my GPZ did do 7x 20min intermediate track sessions at cadwell park on not much over 10 liters. And that was with the heated grips on! :pmsl
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

you can fit about 5 and half litres in the subframe space.Ive alfeady measured it.