Fuel pump nackered? i think so!

Moderator: Moderators

mikey_m
My Bike: zxr 400 H1

Fuel pump nackered? i think so!

Post by mikey_m »

Hi guys....

Started my bike up today ( zxr 400 H1). Not been started for a few years. I left it on tickover for a few minutes, and i can hear a loud clicking noise coming from the fuel pump! After a few minutes of runnning it (still, not riding) the fuel pump is begginning to get red hot! Not literally but enough to cause concern.

Now my question is, do fuel pumps get hot? As mine is making a loud clicky noise and is vibrating as if some sort of bearings have gone.

Cheers.

Michael.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Fuel pump nackered? i think so!

Post by cargo »

They can make a loud clicky noise if there is nothing to pump ? ?

never noticed a fuel pump getting hot ?
mikey_m

Post by mikey_m »

No there is deffinetaly fuel going through it, otherwise it wouldnt start right?

Yes, my fuel pump is getting almost untouchably hot. Might check ebay to replace it :smt002
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

they get hot if they run dry..

they also get hot if they are continuously running.. like if the seals are shot in the carbs..

pull the fuel line off the carbs and spin the bike over.. if fuel gushes out at you, the pump is fine.. its most likely the float valve seals in the carbs that have perished. If there's nary a trickle, check the fuel tap and/or filter for blockages/mank.
mikey_m

Post by mikey_m »

Zimm - It doesnt make that noise anymore, neither does it get hot. I think as it was stood for a few years without being started. Who knows, but its fine now. You were probably right about it running with gunk somewhere in the line.

Thanks for all your help. much appreciated. biggrin

Michael.