What would cause a fuel pump to die?

Moderator: Moderators

OxideSoldier
My Bike: ZXR400 L1

Post by OxideSoldier »

Hello guys, I used to use these forums last year, some may remember (user name Madderz). Had issues with my old bike, sorted that and sold it on.

Bought a lovely new one. After the last bike I feel I know these bikes inside out now!

Anyway, bought it, rode it home, battery gave up on me. Wouldn't start. Bought new battery, fitted and fires up fine.

I then went out on my first Sunday morning ride and she rode superbly for 3 hours, didn't miss a beat. I get 2 roads from home and I pull up to a right turn into a side road and going down the gears and pulling the clutch in she dies..... So I pull over to the side and sit there for 5 minutes and scratch my head deciding whether or not to push it the rest of the way home. Gave her a quick start of the button and she fired. Quickly hauled ass home. Sounded really lumpy until I gave it the beans then next right turn same toad happened and it refused to start, had to push the rest of the way.

So next day I Go out, start her up, runs lovely. Jump on ride her round the block dies on me in the same way. So I assume it's a fueling problem and she's running of what's in the bowels. so tank off find, fuel pump and take of fuel hose to carbs and hit the starter, the thing doesn't even flinch, no clic, no fuel. Nothing. Take it inside and test it on a jump pack. Still nothing. Clearly dead.

The next bit is the interesting bit, I have a quick browse through the history, the fuel pump was replaced 4 months ago and even says in the invoice notes that the previous seller had exactly the same problem. Weird right?

So what I want to know is what would cause a fuel pump to die? Could a dodgy relay do this?

I've ordered a new pump but I am sceptical as to how long it will last last.... Anyone had any fuel pumps repeatedly die on them? Could it be the new battery had more juice than the old and blew it? Could it be me shorting something?
Rust is lighter than carbon fibre winks
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Re: What would cause a fuel pump to die?

Post by KwakKwak »

OxideSoldier wrote:she rode superbly for 3 hours, didn't miss a beat.
Don't be coming on here boasting :pmsl
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
OxideSoldier

Post by OxideSoldier »

LOL LOL!

Fuel pump is on, now the battery is dead as a dodo. Fires of a jump pack and runs. Dies before I can get down the road to charge it :(

Battery is on charge. 9AH battery on a 4amp charger charger. I make that 2.25 hours before I attempt to ride her....and no doubt get stranded somewhere. confuddled

I hate ZXR400s I don't know why I gave in again and got another one LOL! :ffs
OxideSoldier

Post by OxideSoldier »

Not sure of anyone is reading this forums anymore, it's like a ghost town!

Thought I'd share some information on the faults I've had for anyone looking through this with a problem of their own.

Found the wiring fault that knackered my fuel pump. Took the whole fairing off and followed the wiring everywhere. Could see the problem immediately. Rectifier/regulator wires were literally melted together! Plug had one pin burnt out (middle bottom wire as you looked at the plug with clip bit on top, just case anyone was wondering).

To fix it I snipped the plug off, stripped back the wiring loom tape, snipped the bad bits of wire off, added some wire with bullet connections and heat shrunk them (ideally you would solder and shrink them) then added new spade/pins and popped the back in the old plug.

Fingers crossed it hasn't fried my reg/rec. The only down side is I had to cut the rubber waterproof cover bit of as it melted, will have to work out a way to waterproof it. I'm thinking a rubber glove and some zip ties for the time being!

We shall see how she goes, will get a multimeter on her when my new one arrives!
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

Glad to see you found the fault, let us know how you get on!
OxideSoldier

Post by OxideSoldier »

Well it ran well for a day or two! Until the new fuel pump decided to leak where it joins in the middle and caused me to use a tank in about 2 hours of riding!!

Lots of swearing at the company I bought it from and they replaced it free of charge.

So in she goes. Fires and runs beautifully 3 or 4 times that day, take her for a massive blast after work. Happy as Larry.

Get all my gear on at 6am this morning looking forward to my morning ride, turn the key....no lights, nothing. Not even so much as a click from the starter.

WTF!!! First thing I thought is reg/rec after the wiring, but I always thought that if you increase your RPM and your lights brighten then it's working. That was definitely happening....

The bike has never died to the point the lights on dash don't come on!! It has stood for a few days at work since the pump leak and fired several times that day fine!

The only thing to change is the new fuel pump and the fact I've actually been riding it!!

Surely a fuel pump can't draw from the bike when it's off and I don't see how riding it can drain the battery to that extent!!

Could it be where I re wired the REG/REC? I did a good job and can't see why it would drain the battery.

Anyone got any ideas?? I think this is now in the wrong section!

This bike has been nothing but hassle since I bought it, i have a good mind to ride it back to the guy I bought it off and parking it in his living room via the window.

No problems whatsoever my butt. Lying Prick.
OxideSoldier

Post by OxideSoldier »

Gonna pull out the multi meter tomorrow. I have the day off.

Thistles to be a charging problem surely? It has a brand new battery. The only two things left are the REG/rec amd generator coils.

I have a brief understanding of how to check for charging etc. Battery should hold 12.4 when not running and when running should increase to confirm charging (I know there is a manual so I will look properly)

My question is if it isn't charging how can I determine which part is at fault?
OxideSoldier

Post by OxideSoldier »

I read this online :

"What would cause a motorcycle battery to die overnight?
I bought an 05 Yamaha V Star 650 Classic yesterday. Started fine all day on…show more
9 Answers • Motorcycles

Best Answer (Chosen by Voter)
You started the bike at least a dozen times (big drain on battery) and didn't run the bike enough to recharge the battery. The cold weather on the next day was enough to cause the battery to fail.

The battery is probably still alright, It just needs a good charge overnight. They don't like temperatures close to freezing.
Firestormer • 4 years
Comment 3 0
Other Answers
Over the last 40+ years, I've checked out countless batteries and charging systems. Before you go buying a new battery, try this. With your new charger set on a low charge setting (usually 2 amps), let the battery charge overnight and see if it starts ok the following morning. If so, remove the charger and let the bike set until the following morning and see if it starts. If so, shut it down and try starting it again and again and see how many starts before the battery runs down.

But if the battery seems dead or close to it after setting for a day, disconnect the negative battery cable (black one) at the battery, charge the battery overnight, let it set all day and the following morning, reconnect the cable and see if it starts. If it now cranks over fine, that would point to a bad diode in the voltage regulator and replacement is the only fix. The VR can still work fine (charge) when running, but there's one diode that keeps the battery from draining back down when the engine isn't running. That would be the guilty one.

If the battery still won't or barely cranks over after setting with the cable disconnected, then it's new battery time."

Could this be the case with my reg rec? After all the plug and wiring was burnt out. Charges fine after a run, has died on me over night.

Pulling my hair out!!!!