Mysterious whining!

Moderator: Moderators

Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

It could just be some gearbox whine...

A lot of times after you work on a car or bike, you put it back together and take it out, and because you're a bit paranoid over it, you'll pick up on a sound that was always there but you just never listened for it before!

I was speaking to a mechanic a few weeks ago and was surprised when he said the same thing!

I've never seen sprockets with rubber on them. I wouldn't advise putting any on that's not factory fitted, either!

I can't see any advantage to having rubber on - if anything it's just more likely to make the nut ease itself loose as the rubber gives...

The front sprocket slides over the splines, so I can't see any advantage at all to having rubber on it?! Unless it acts as a spacer - but then I wouldn't have thought you'd get a whine, or if you did it would be constant?
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

its probably an anti-vibration thing?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

thing is, the play (and hence vibration) of the sprocket isn't controlled by its width, it's controlled by the play of the splined plate/washer thingy in its groove. The sprocket is just bolted up to that, so I don't see why it would rattle any more or less.

Xphy - That was my first thought, because I changed the screen at the same time, but i'm fairly sure its not - makes no difference where I move my head, tuck in, etc.

Jamz - it wasn't doing it before. Absolutely certain.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

Umm... just another thought...

I changed my chain and sprockets on my VFR a few weeks ago, and the other day when I was banked over to the left and on the power, I could hear a strange sound coming from the chain/rear wheel area.

I'd never noticed it before, and don't think I have since, but I had a good look over it all and noticed one edge of the chain had a polished look to it.

I worked out pretty fast that it was rubbing on the plastic chainguard - which it hadn't been doing when the chain adjustment was at it's longest wheelbase point!

Could it be that moving the wheel all the way forwards for the new chain is doing the same?

I think the L models have a plastic chainguard, if I remember correctly, anyway!
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja