Strange noise - cam chain?

Moderator: Moderators

MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Strange noise - cam chain?

Post by MrLuke »

I'm wanting to find out what this funny noise my engine makes is, it's done it since I've had it but didn't bother me until a mechanic pointed out it might be something more serious. It kicks in at 5k and I always thought it was just something resonating and nothing to worry about but it does actually sound quite nasty.

Took this video the other day:

http://s273.photobucket.com/user/BadaBi ... 2.mp4.html

Also can hear it in this video most of the way through, but very clearly at 1.04:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3jgIlhmas0

Thought it might be my cam chain worn through but took the cover off to check and this is what the tensioner looks like:

Couple of pics for comparison from Randle's thread

Worth replacing now? Do you think it might get rid of the noise?

Also, rather worryingly I found this half moon piece of metal stuck to the bottom of the black square in the pictures above.

Looks like it might have broken off something? What could it be?

Replies appreciated :)
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Strange noise - cam chain?

Post by banner001 »

loks like the bottom part of the tensioner blade?

above the cam chain tensioner is the tensioner blade, its prone to breaking, if its broke it could also be rattling which would account for the noise.

your chain is ok for the time being...however if the blade has broke and you get it replaced, get the chain replaced at the same time...wont need doing for a while then.

if it needs changing, and you want a garage to do it, get the engine out, drained of oil and take that to them, shouldnt take them too long to replace it along with the camchain, i reckon 3 hours max so get a price from them first, tensioner blade is about £20 new and chain is about £40.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Thanks for the reply Banner. I will talk to my local shop and see what they say. If replacing the chain and blade will get rid of the noise then I'm all for it. Was thinking of trying to replace it myself as I'm never gonna learn anything if I just give it to someone to do but I would need someone to help me/guide me.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

getting someone to do it with you is a good idea, its not difficult to change the cam chain, or check the timing is correct...but you will be a lot happier having someone who has done it at least once.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Exactly what I'm thinking! Don't want to f*** up something that spins at 14500 times a minute!