anyone else had this?

Moderator: Moderators

jonnyboy987
My Bike: zxr400

anyone else had this?

Post by jonnyboy987 »

hay new to owning a zxr and i have looked about but cant find my problem.
the bike when i bought it had a shambles of wiring so i used the manuals from the club to rewire or practically a new loom wired up but i did test the bike before i done the work and well hear is the problem mine is a 91 jap import so i know about restriction on it and the speed one that cuts in a limiter but my bike will bang on its limiter at 10K revs in all gears 1 2 3 4 5 6 from what i have read it should only do it when at 100 -110 mph my bike is also fitted with a converter from kmh to mph. i still need to do spark plugs and oil change but don't think it will make a difference. so is this normal or is it just my luck as with all bikes i buy.
cheers Jon
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: anyone else had this?

Post by CaNsA »

what?
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

jonnyboy987 wrote:hay new to owning a zxr and i have looked about but cant find my problem.
the bike when i bought it had a shambles of wiring so i used the manuals from the club to rewire or practically a new loom wired up but i did test the bike before i done the work and well hear is the problem mine is a 91 jap import so i know about restriction on it and the speed one that cuts in a limiter but my bike will bang on its limiter at 10K revs in all gears 1 2 3 4 5 6 from what i have read it should only do it when at 100 -110 mph my bike is also fitted with a converter from kmh to mph. i still need to do spark plugs and oil change but don't think it will make a difference. so is this normal or is it just my luck as with all bikes i buy.
cheers Jon
from what i know (mines a UK unrestricted bike) 10k rpm means that your cdi is not talking with your clocks, you can use a (i think) 10kohm resistor between the pink wire and ground to fool the cdi into thinking that you are doing less than 10k rpm...something like that, you might also wanna look at getting hold of an unrestricted "M" CDi, although this might mean you need to change some of your wiring?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
jonnyboy987
My Bike: zxr400

Post by jonnyboy987 »

hay thank you for the reply. aye I was thinking it would be an cdi problem or something to do with clocks but better to ask before going head first into things just incase ill check what cdi is in it cause it is an unknown history and in the state it was when i bought it well could be surprises and changing the cdi and messing with wiring disna bother me to much so that can be done.
cheers again jon