Moderator: Moderators

shoryzo
My Bike: ZXR400

Engine top end

Post by shoryzo »

Hello guys

i've just opened my engine top cover and i've discovered the following issue
engine top.jpg
the piece that keeps the cam shafts in place and lubricates the sistem is broken.
It was glued with some epoxy glue or something.

Also the engine top end is damaged as you can see in the picture below.
My guess is that the mechanic that did some repairs put the cam shafts in the wrong order
You can see the wear
rocker.jpg
My question is: it can be fixed?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't drive fast....I just fly real low
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Engine top end

Post by banner001 »

the pics are hard to see as they are very small, but if the cam journals are damaged to the point where they are damaging the camshafts then the head is fecked. the camshafts are stamped IN and EX, so you will be able to see if they are in the wrong way - although i would be surprised if the bike would even fire up.

in all honesty i think your looking at a new head, possibly a new engine - if the wrong camshafts have been used i would be checking all the valves for straightness and the pistons for evidence of damage to the crowns.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
shoryzo
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by shoryzo »

Yes i know that the cam shafts are marked , that is why i m saying that they were put
the other way around because i found them in the wrong place. Maybe this is the main reason
for the wear over there...i don't know...i will measure them

I couldn't open the bolts that are keeping in place the engine top end with the motor block.
They are very tight screwed.....

I don't think the valves are straight anymore...hopefully the pistons will be OK....

I'll keep you posted

Thanks
I don't drive fast....I just fly real low
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

take it back to the mechanic and say "you wrecked my engine, i need £400 for a new one".

he must have noticed that something was off when he did the timing, the marks are designed so that they only line up if its been done properly, there is no way to insert the shafts the wrong way and not notice!
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003