Head gasket, what else?

Moderator: Moderators

Laith
My Bike: L8 ZXR400

Head gasket, what else?

Post by Laith »

Hey all,

Had a quick search but couldn't see anything.

Going to be replacing the head gasket on my ZXR in the next few weeks, was just wondering if there's anything else I should replace/check while I have the engine all apart? I've read you should probably replace the cam chain, and maybe the tensioner aswell.

Anything else?

Cheers, Laith.
noodleface

Re: Head gasket, what else?

Post by noodleface »

replace the camchain if necessary, the tensioner will need replacing if its broken, check the cam chain tensioner blade as these can fail at the bottom where the tensioner is.

-nf
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

There no reason to replace the head gasket unless it is actually blown ? ? ?

when a head is off I'd be checking rocker arms, re-lapping valves, considering new valve stem oil seals, inspect camshafts, replace cam chain inspect cam chain tensioner, inspect tensioner blade. Id do a good external clean of the engine too before I took the head off and do a good clean of the frame too while the engine is out
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

With all the knowledge you have bouncing around your noggin Cargo, I might have to pop over for the weekend :D
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

hijack hijack
Laith
My Bike: L8 ZXR400

Post by Laith »

cargo wrote:There no reason to replace the head gasket unless it is actually blown ? ? ?

when a head is off I'd be checking rocker arms, re-lapping valves, considering new valve stem oil seals, inspect camshafts, replace cam chain inspect cam chain tensioner, inspect tensioner blade. Id do a good external clean of the engine too before I took the head off and do a good clean of the frame too while the engine is out
Aye we think the head gasket is gone.

Cheers for all the replies everyone!

Laith
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Valve clearances! Check the clearances before you take it apart, buy the right shins and you just lift up the rocker, put the shim in and done, I checked the thickness of all sixteen and put them back in in under 3 minutes, you will notice the change if their off, I go the same route everyday, go up a hill and crack the throttle on the way down, did the clearances and the thing had the nose right up, never happened before but will happen again if I want it to :excited
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

waste of time doing clearances if your going to lap the seats
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

actually I would have thought you would HAVE to do the valve clearances if your going to lap the valves, though you would have to do them after, so another helpful post cargo
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

It is a waste of time checking and adjusting valve clearances IF you intend to lap the valves in and that is what my post says..........................as ever stupid little boys that cant read mouthing off
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

'Waste of time checking the clearances before you take it apart if your going to lap the seats' miscommunication is the mother of all f*** Ups