Gearbox.......

Moderator: Moderators

swarb

Gearbox.......

Post by swarb »

Hi, if this post appears 3 times, sorry.....!!

Having trouble wih the gearbox, bike is a '96 L, gearbox is fine in every other way, doesn't jumo, isn't notchy etc, but when going up from 1st to 2nd thru neutral, about every 3rd tome or so, it enters neutral and stays there, will not select 2nd. Once it's n neutral, the only way out is to make sure you're at a sympathetic wheel speed and briefly go back to 1st then back up again, then it engages 2nd every time...........??
Any suggestions ??

Swarb
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

it worked then? welcome to the forum :D
sounds like the selector arms worn chap, it's one of those temperamental problems which you need to strip the box down but its a toss between is it worth it or is it really that annoying?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Sure its nothing to do with the fact that it wont go from neutral to second unless its moving? If thats whats happening then that sounds pretty normal to me, theres a mechanism that allows you to select neutral easily, this disengages once the bike is moving :)

Hope thats the qustion you were asking and that its answered it :)
swarb

Post by swarb »

No, well unless that 'mechanism' is faulty? Selecting neutral etc when standing still is fine, but it does the same when IT IS moving!!??!!It does feel very similar to when you try and select second standing still, there is just no movement in the lever, its solid if you try and move it upwards, but thats while you're coasting at 30mph with everything you just left at the lights looming large in your crappy mirrors!!!!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Robs right theres a little ball bearing that prevents second gear from being selected unless the bike is moving forward.
This can also happen at very low speeds.
You can if you want just remove the ball bearing and second gear can then be selected fron stand still. I think it's accessable with out too much of a strip down
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Sounds like maybe the ball bearing is stuck in the can't select second gear position
swarb

Post by swarb »

mmmm, sounds like a good possibility, would certainly explain why it doesn't effect anyother ratio. Also sounds less of a problem to correct, although I still have no intention of doing it myself or paying dealer prices! so if anyone out there is good with a spanner, is in or around medway/maidstone and wants to earn a few quid, give me a shout.

Swarb
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Well what ever you do the engine needs to come out i have a tuner that will strip and rebuild the engine for you cheap but as to find the problem you need to really know what it is once out unless it has worn one of the dogs or has knackered some thing you want know sounds like you just need to strip and then see what you have got.

Hodson Engineering 01732 463658 .Tell him Simon Lowes gave you the number but i reckon you are looking at around £100-£150 to strip and rebuild the bottom end. He charges £50 just to strip a complete engine top to bottom and let you know what is wrong or right if it is visible any way good luck
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

So this ball bearing, can anyone identify in the manual at all? what page its on and the part etc....
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Oh dear, no thats not them cos ive just managed to find them in the manual :| they are on page 8-15 and they are situated in the 5th gear cog. If you goto the same page and read 'Transmission Disassembly' it tels you, and Diagram 'View AA' on the top right corner shows where they are.

So it definately is an engine apart problem :( assuming thats what the problem is at all :?:

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/images/Lseries/lgears.gif

Here the are, part 600.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Yes i reckon your right rob thats it.

I've striped the gearbox out of a 93 maybe 94 zxr750 and was able to turn the engine upside down and split the crankcases to get at the gearbox without having to touch the head or barrel.

Don't know if it can be done with a zxr400
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

Any help or advice you can allways ring the above number Lawerence would be more than happy to help its not all about racing you will have to take the lump out as the post above then turn up side down and split

GOOD LUCK